Rose Hips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy-Klubb

HBT Berry Puncher
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on a full strength Saison with the blended cakes from my WYLP65/WY3711 split. I'm gonna add rose hips for flavor and such. I want it to be very noticeable, but don't have much experience with the 'hips. any suggestions on how many ounces for a 5 gallon batch?

I've seen references to use 2 ounces per 5 gallons and boil for 60-mins, but have not done that for a beer yet.

I have used 4 oz in 6 gallons of mead by soaking them in 3 cups of water for a few days, and adding this tea the primary. Produced a nice tartness to the mead. 4 oz would probably be too strong for a beer... so the 2 oz recommendation I read seems like a good starting point. Add less to be on the safe side. :)
--LexusChris

I haven't gotten good flavor out of them. Mine came dried, but I think you should crack them up even more than they are (if yours are dried) and toss them in at the 15-10m mark for best luck. I may not have boiled them long enough and I think they probably needed to be cracked a little finer.

Hello, I use rose hips in one of my xmass beers, I use 1 oz cracked, remove the hair and seeds, add at 15 min left in the boil.

This beer has cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, orange peels, in it too, so its kinda hard for me to suggest to you exactly how much to use, I cut the rose hips in 1/2 on this, as i felt that 1 oz was just a bit to much with everything else going on in this brew.

For a pronounced rose hp flavor, I would recommend anywhere from 1oz to 2oz at 15 min left in the boil, I think 2 oz will be very up front in your beer, this is my best guess.

I hope this helped, Please let me know how it turns out.

Cheers :tank:

Hello, I use rose hips in one of my xmass beers, I use 1 oz cracked, remove the hair and seeds, add at 15 min left in the boil.

This beer has cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, orange peels, in it too, so its kinda hard for me to suggest to you exactly how much to use, I cut the rose hips in 1/2 on this, as i felt that 1 oz was just a bit to much with everything else going on in this brew.

For a pronounced rose hp flavor, I would recommend anywhere from 1oz to 2oz at 15 min left in the boil, I think 2 oz will be very up front in your beer, this is my best guess.

I hope this helped, Please let me know how it turns out.

Cheers :tank:
I'm looking for very up front! like I said, it's gonna be a full strength Saison with a blend of WLP565/WY3711 cakes. I'm looking for very pronounced. thanks Coyote!

let us and or ME know how it goes, once i get moved in to my new place i think a saison is gonna be my first beer on the list to brew.

brewing the Rose Hip Saison right now. just added 2 oz dried Rose Hips at the 15 min mark. if it needs more, there's always bulk age! smells great, by the way!

I'd think it'd be too much going on. You could pull a gallon and sour that. I prefer brett in a saison, but lacto could be nice.

sour that ****. and send it to me. i like dry sour beers. what yeast did you use for your primary?

I decided to "Dry Hip" with 1oz. decided against the Lactobacillious Delbrueckii. it has great funk from the WLP565, but attenuating like the WY3711.

floccin' hell! I love brewing!

Latest posts

Back