if you had this what would you do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST_BREW_IT

Reaction score
it's an old 60 gallon steam cooker that was used in a penitentiary. it's stainless and the crank in the right tilts the kettle up and down. think this would make a good kettle for big batches?

20130215_163202.jpg

is this thing steam powered? if yes you need a boiler for excellent boiling kettle

it was steam powered. there's an outside shell from the center weld down. steam would be pumped in between the two layers of stainless to cook the food in the vat. I would remove the exterior shell so that I could put a burner under it and be more efficient

I'm just getting started. I've yet to do my first batch however I can get this for next to nothing. I envision finding a go to recipe and brewing large batches............ say twenty gallon batches and fermenting in two 15.5 kegs...........I can get this dude for less than I can get 2 15.5 kegs

before you take it apart remember that steam is about 4x more efficient in delivering heat/energy than direct fire, old indians even say that you can't boil more than 3 bbl when using direct fire

before you take it apart remember that steam is about 4x more efficient in delivering heat/energy than direct fire, old indians even say that you can't boil more than 3 bbl when using direct fire

unfortunately I do not have the means to utilize steam.................. this monsters gotta be good something though right?

could I put a banjo burner under it and use it as a kettle and a mash tun all in one ( going AG in a bag)? then turn to 2 15.5 kegs as fermenters?

picked up this 60 gallon steam kettle and an old 40 gallon therapeutic whirlpool today. pics to come after I clean them up.

the whirlpool actually has a prop in it to circulate the water. also has a thermometer on it so it apparently has a heating element of some sort. goin hoping it will make a good tun

So you paid less than $100 for it? Sell it for scrap and make some money.

I have one that I got out of an old school that was going to be renovated. Use it as my HLT. Works great and was free. Mine is not jacketed though.

looks like the steam kettles used in the galley on Navy ships.

always thought they would be KILLER for a BK

I have one that I got out of an old school that was going to be renovated. Use it as my HLT. Works great and was free. Mine is not jacketed though.

How big is yours. What size of burner do you use?

It just seems like I'll eat through a lot of propane to get wort to a boil

I dono pretty big. I just use mine to heat mash and sparge water. Big enough to make both at same time for 10 gallons. I just use regular cheapo propane burner. Never tried to boil with it. I'm sure you could, would just take a bit longer.

I dono pretty big. I just use mine to heat mash and sparge water. Big enough to make both at same time for 10 gallons. I just use regular cheapo propane burner. Never tried to boil with it. I'm sure you could, would just take a bit longer.

I'm wondering if I couldnt use this for all phases up to fermenting then transfer over to 15.5 gallon kegs to ferment in.

I'll get it all cleaned up and have a trial run at boiling some water. If it takes way to long then I will be back to square 1

I would carefully cut the jacket off the bottom. Wont be pretty, but will probably cut the time in 1/2...

Pump coolant through the steam jacket and ferment 50 or so gallons of lager or pilsner at a time.

I like the kettle. I'm looking for one about that size. Plan to make a copper hood for it and make a pot Still out of it for a craft distillery. Any ideas where I might pick one or two up at.

Thanks and good luck with your project.
Rick

Back