Porter with Honey And Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When should I add these ingredients to the wort in the boil? at the beginning or the end ,,,its a 60 min boil.I was thinkin last 5 mins of the boil add these

Neither...add them to primary after fermentation starts to slow down. You can dissolve them in a small amount of boiled, mostly cooled/still warm water. Two advantages: 1) you will retain more flavor this way and 2) lower OG for the yeast to deal with when starting. I do this with my vanilla/oak/bourbon porter (that also has molasses) and you can taste the molasses much better than when I used to add it at flameout. I have done other beers with late honey or other sugar additions, and always successful...

would you share that porter recipe? been looking for an imperial porter with depth of flavor and that sounds perfect

I'm happy to share...I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll get something posted up in the recipe section and post the link, or I'll PM it to you. Bear with me and I'll get it done in the next day or so...

U can put it on here.I don't care..I work on a race team and am just now leaving Indianapolis,IN...and I will share the recipe on here when I get home..thanks everyone...

:mug: thanks man...have ingredients on hand for the next half dozen batches, but yours will be getting worked in soon.

Back