milled grains in hot car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought 12 lbs of milled grain for my next batch and had a quick question.

I am at work for the next 5 hours and was wondering... Could leaving them in my car for this amount of time in this 93 degree heat ruin them?

They are sealed in a large 55 lb grain sack and no light can get to them, but my lhbs said that the dry heat could be a problem.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Bk

It's fine. If there was yeast in the car, that could get messed up by the heat, but the heat won't do anything to the grains.

Thanks,

I put them in an empty (clean) gym bag along with 1lb of ice. I double bagged the ice to make sure that it wouldn't leak and touch the grain bag..

Maybe I over did it.. do you think that I should take the ice out just in case it were to leak? From what I saw, these 55 lb sacks aren't waterproof.

Thanks for the quick reply.

your car will smell nice for the drive home...

Open, humid and a few days = a problem.

Sealed, dry heat, and 5 hours = no problem.

It is an expensive auto air freshener though.

Crack a window. A car can get much warmer than the ambient temperature, and that may cook the enzymes.

Double bagging the ice isn't always enough to prevent leakage, and condensation will definitely form on the outside of it. I would just move the ice so it, and it's runoff, condensation can't touch the grain bag, but keep it right next to it, and the whole thing well insulated w/ blankets/towels if you've got them. Cracking the windows is mandatory IMHO.

It'll be fine though....but I do take better care of my milled grain, then unmilled. I've found it stales out more quickly. 5 hours, though..no prob.

Those grains sit in rail cars and in the back of trucks in the hot sun for at least a few days during shipment so I don't think 5 hours in the car will hurt them at all.

Back