fermentation vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasgorff

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a couple of large fermentation vessels (15 gallons or so). I am a little strapped for cash and was wondering if any body has any cheap ideas or experience making something that is food grade preferably a cylindrical design. Let me know if any one has any links or experience to produce something cheap and durable. Thanks

1/2 barrel sanke keg... 15.5 gallon capacity. :D

If you're looking more turn-key, you can use the Brewer's Hardware sanke fermenter kit. I would rig up a connection to the airlock/blowoff tube port on it, for your CO2 feed (assuming you have a CO2 tank) to push the brew out via a racking cane. If you're filling kegs (especially ball lock) then you can simply put a swivel nut on the other end of the tubing on the cane and fit it with a ball lock QD and fill the keg via the liquid post/dip tube. :D

+1 on using Sanke kegs. I just put a drilled stopper in there and treat it like a carboy. When it is time to rack I use the Brewers Hardware kit. Works great.

The large universal stopper also works (not the ones made for Better Bottles, the other one) for fermenting. When it comes time to transfer, using either the Brewer's Hardware kit, or a orange carboy cap (slightly modified) works well. Especially when you do a CO2 push. :rockin: No need to use anything to start the siphon that way. :D

Your LHBS shop may have large plastic barrels they get LME in. One of my shops has LME "on tap" and sell off the old barrels for few bucks when they're empty.

As mentioned, 1/2bbl kegs or 15 gal HDPE barrels/drums are probably your best options.

The large universal stopper also works (not the ones made for Better Bottles, the other one) for fermenting. When it comes time to transfer, using either the Brewer's Hardware kit, or a orange carboy cap (slightly modified) works well. Especially when you do a CO2 push. :rockin: No need to use anything to start the siphon that way. :D

A sankey spear and coupler also works well for transferring.

Your LHBS shop may have large plastic barrels they get LME in. One of my shops has LME "on tap" and sell off the old barrels for few bucks when they're empty.

Craigslist and soda bottling companies are also good sources for the HDPE barrels. Soda bottler near me has pretty much every size of HDPE barrel and sells them for $12 each.

Back