best winter warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
its my favorite time of year for beer, actually its always a good time for beer, but i love it when the winter warmers come out. so far my favorite is this derailed ale stuff from durango brewing co. around 8.5% abv and pretty hoppy as well, i like that i can actually taste the yeast strain. too many breweries in america use boring ass yeast strains, always glad to taste a beer that doesnt. anyways, im wondering what other peoples favorite winter warmers are, what theyre like, its such an ambiguous style. almost every brewery has one these days, which is nice...

oh yeah, its my second favorite, right now, but winter just started and it seems liek the breweries change the recipes each year, so it'll take awhile to taste them all :cross: i like this years old jubilation better than the last two years, it is really good. id like to try that jubelale from deschutes. i don't like deschutes that much, and absolutely hated that beer two years ago when i tried it, but maybe they changed it.

pistolero-whats your favorite?

We only just started getting >6%abv here. I think about the only winter warmer I remember is Harpoon's which I will say that last year's tastes much better this year (found some in the pantry). I'll have to get my hands on some.

well at least your getting a good one. i guess i consider any high gravity ale thats distributed during the winter a winter warmer...like i said, its ambiguous.

drengel said:
well at least your getting a good one. i guess i consider any high gravity ale thats distributed during the winter a winter warmer...like i said, its ambiguous.
Given that criteria my favorite is this Wee Heavy of mine that I'm drinking. :cool:

Pelican's Winter Fest (unfortunately only at the brewery)
Golden Valley's Tanen Bomb
Widmer's Snowplow milk stout

Up for this weekend:

Oregon Trail's Yankee Clipper
Mark Arsenault's bourbon-barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout

Fredericksburg Brewery (Fredericksburg, TX) Hoppy Holidaze. only available at the brewery, but my fav-o-rite! man, talk about ring your bell!

Walker said:
I'm partial to Walker's Espresso Stout. ;)

whe my double nut brown is done carbonating it will probably be my favorite. i guess most winter warmers are just strong ales distributed in the winter--still my favorite time of year though.

deroux- do they bottle that FB stuff. i mentioned in another thread that my parents got married there (reception actually, right when the brewery started i think), but i don't remember their beers ( i was 12 then). just wondering because their 10 year anniversary is coming up aand my parents love good beer, so they might enjoy some brews from them. ecspecially a high gravity/high hops brew.

I'm looking forward to some Robbobrau Oatmeal Stout, but the head brew-master told me it won't be ready for a couple more weeks. Right now, I'm enjoying a Robbobrau Wit.

I would have to say Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter. It is only available at the brewery and only lasts about 6 weeks. You have to be quick to get this one. Very popular

anthrobe said:
I would have to say Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter. It is only available at the brewery and only lasts about 6 weeks. You have to be quick to get this one. Very popular

theres a beer at my favorite local brewpub (which i interview at mon. about a asst. brewer job) thats like that, in terms of popularity at least. its the colorado uncommon, a english style strong ale. last year i was the happy beneficiary of a free 5 gallon keg because i won for best style in the polar beer plunge competition, where they take old beer and snow, put it in a kiddie pool on the patio in the middle of january, and throw in easter eggs filled with prizes that you have to get in your mouth without using your hands. i did a back flip off a planter to win a free keg.

drengel said:
theres a beer at my favorite local brewpub (which i interview at mon. about a asst. brewer job) thats like that, in terms of popularity at least. its the colorado uncommon, a english style strong ale. last year i was the happy beneficiary of a free 5 gallon keg because i won for best style in the polar beer plunge competition, where they take old beer and snow, put it in a kiddie pool on the patio in the middle of january, and throw in easter eggs filled with prizes that you have to get in your mouth without using your hands. i did a back flip off a planter to win a free keg.

Backflip into old beer.....that I have to see :D

drengel said:
you lucky SOB! good luck on it. we'll all be pull'n for you.....

no, Fredericksburg doesn't bottle, but you can get a growler if their close to Fredericksburg still? my wife told me last night that she booked us a room at the brewery for next weekend. hope they have the hoppy holidaze again this year :drunk:
keep us posted on the interview......

I wouldn't call it my favorite winter warmer (or a warmer at all, at 6%), but definately the funniest name. My buddy brought over a bottle of "Santa's Butt."

But seriously, Santa's Butt tasted like - what? Why is everybody laughing at me? Do you want to know what I thought of Santa's Butt or not? Quit laughing!

It was a very nice bottle conditioned porter, by the way.

santa's butt? i'll have the IPA :~)

drengel, had the Hoppy Holidaze and the Jailhouse Bock at Fredericksburg Brewing Co. this weekend......very, very good! tell your folk's to go by and grap a growler or two!

Back