Flaked Barley Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm tossing in some flaked barley in my experimental Blonde recipe today. I've never used it before. Do you send it through the mill with the rest of the grain or do you mash it as is?

Cool. Thanks. I'm using it to hopefully add some creaminess mouthfeel to my blonde recipe. Through the mill it goes.

The first time I made a brew that used FB since getting my Barley Crusher, I tried sending some thru. Most of it just slipped between the rollers unharmed. I thus deduced that it's not supposed to go through a mill. So I don't mill it. Seems pointless...

You can put the flaked barley and other flaked grains through your mill if you want, but it is not necessary. The flakes will wet sufficiently in the mash exposing the glatinized starch to enzymatic attack. Flake barley and oats have high levels of beta glucans, a carbohydrate that thickens the wort and beer some. It should add to the mouthfeel you are seeking.;)

Dr Malt:mug:

Evan! said:
The first time I made a brew that used FB since getting my Barley Crusher, I tried sending some thru. Most of it just slipped between the rollers unharmed. I thus deduced that it's not supposed to go through a mill. So I don't mill it. Seems pointless...
I have a corona-style mill so it definitely has an effect on the flakes for me. But I doubt it makes any difference all the same. I tend to throw them through because I put all my measured uncrushed grains into a single bucket and then pour it all at once into the mill hopper, less thinking that way (which is a must for the likes of me :D).

I put it through the mill at my LHBS and ground it the same as all my other grains with their modified coffee grinder. It works great. In fact, I tasted my newest ESB last night and the noticeable mouth feel told me that the half pound I used was right on the money.

I wonder whether or not you would get as much mileage without grinding it?

This is probably too late EdWort but in a recent brew, I ran flaked barley through the mill and most of it came out floured. It gummed up the mash a good bit and really slowed the sparge process. LHBS guy told me I shouldn't crush it afterwards. Thanks for the timely advice, bro! Oh wait, that brings us full circle Ed. Good luck with it.

PS - sampled the brew just two days ago and it has fantastic .... (you know what) retention.:eek:

a little off topic but flaked barley related. I'm gonna be brewing an IPA tomorrow and the recipe calls for 8oz of flaked wheat but they had none, so the LHBS guy recommended me to use 8oz of flaked barley instead. What do you guys think will become of this IPA, as far as color, taste, etc.

Thanks, Scott.

I'm getting ready to do a dry stout and was wondering the same thing. According to Classic Beer Style Series on Stouts they grind the flaked barley to improve yield. I'm planning on using my food processor. I could see this leading to a stuck sparge but I batch sparge now so I'm hoping it won't be a problem...

HeavierFrag said:
This is probably too late EdWort but in a recent brew, I ran flaked barley through the mill and most of it came out floured. It gummed up the mash a good bit and really slowed the sparge process. LHBS guy told me I shouldn't crush it afterwards. Thanks for the timely advice, bro! Oh wait, that brings us full circle Ed. Good luck with it.

PS - sampled the brew just two days ago and it has fantastic .... (you know what) retention.:eek:

Congrats on the head retention. I mixed up the 8 ounces with the rest of the grain and ran through the Barley Crusher. No problem there and no problem for the SS brain manifold in my MLT Cooler. I'm looking forward to the results soon. If it improves my beer, then I'll start adding it elsewhere (since I have 54.5 more pounds of the stuff) :D

I've read that adding 1/2-1 lb flaked barley to ALL of your beers will add head retention, anda little mouthfeel. I've been doing it with great sucess. No need to cresh it though.

Scottmc - Flaked barley versus flaked wheat in a recipe. They are similar in some respects in terms of protein and starch content. The wheat will have some beta-glucan but less that the flaked barley. The flaked barley has the husk material unlike wheat. This can add some grainy character to the beer which in some cases is a part of the taste. The flaked wheat may make the beer a little smoother ans less harsh. However these differences are not dramatic and it should work out fine.

The glucans in the flaked barley will add to mouth feel and foam stability some. Kind of sounds like CaraPils doesn't it??:drunk:

Dr Malt:tank:

Dr Malt said:
Scottmc - Flaked barley versus flaked wheat in a recipe. They are similar in some respects in terms of protein and starch content. The wheat will have some beta-glucan but less that the flaked barley. The flaked barley has the husk material unlike wheat. This can add some grainy character to the beer which in some cases is a part of the taste. The flaked wheat may make the beer a little smoother ans less harsh. However these differences are not dramatic and it should work out fine.

The glucans in the flaked barley will add to mouth feel and foam stability some. Kind of sounds like CaraPils doesn't it??:drunk:

Dr Malt:tank:

Thanks, Dr. Malt

I have used FB in two of my brews. I have noticed a huge difference in head retention and mouthfeel. Both of these brews were two of my best. One a Sweet Breakfast Porter and the other an American Pale Ale (of which I am drinking now). As soon as I get the photo off my phone and into my computer I will send a pic of the beautiful brew.

Enjoy! FB Rocks!

- WW

Flaked barley is good stuff - although be advised that it will promote chill haze in lighter beers.

I like how you guys are talking about 1/2 -1 lb... I added 1lb of flaked barley and 1lb of flaked oats to my Irish Red, hoping it'll be nice and creamy, with a nice lasting head, and an ass that doesn't stop... er um sorry got carried away there...

I use over 1KG of flaked barley in my dry stout. It gives excellent mouth feel and I think it adds that great 'grainy' flavour. And it makes for excellent head on the beer without the need for beer gas (which is good since I have no kegerator).

Back