Head space in primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontybont

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing a new cider and wanted to do an experiment batch before committing further to a larger one.

If I only fill my primary fermenter up half way will the extra headspace cause any issues with my brew?

Any help would be great, thanks.

It would be fine if you were bottling immediately after primary but if you have any plans of aging it then you run a high risk of oxidation/infection. I suggest either buying a smaller fermenter OR adding yeast directly to the jug/bottle. I do that and leave the cap slightly loose to allow CO2 to be removed and it turns out fine. It is only in there for a week or so then to the fridge to crash!

Co2 is more dense than air and therefore sits below the oxygen layer. It should push the oxygen layer out the top of the fermenter so there shouldn't be an significant oxygenation. I say do it. That's just my 2 cents

If your cold crashing long before botteling headspace might be an issue
Exsept for that the beer will give off co2 before you get enough negative pressure to cause a problem

Thanks everyone for your input. Lots of good ideas to consider.

I like your idea old mate of brewing the experiment in the jug/bottle.

If it turns out well, I will do a full batch in my primary fermenter, then cold crash and bottle it.

That would be the best idea. What everyone else has said is true to a degree but if you consider any type of aging the gases will seek equilibrium which means the introduction of oxygen.

Back