No Chill: Transfering Hot Wort to Cube???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
I am interested in giving the no-chill method a go, but I have one hang-up, my current kettle does not have a valve on it, so I have made a racking cane out of copper, but I was wondering what type of tubing would be best for transferring 190 degree wort to the no-chill cube. I have heard that the typical vinyl will not withstand these temps, and I don't know if the braided pvc tubing from the hardware store is food safe. If anyone can give me some feedback as to what they have used effectively, i would be extremely grateful. Thanks for the help and happy brewing!

US Plastics sells the silicone tubing:
Item # 54035 is 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD which is the same dimensions as most standard homebrew tubing.

However, from experience I can say don't use the standard racking canes or the standard auto-siphon! They will melt/deform in the hot wort.

That said ... does anyone have tips for auto siphons that can stand the heat? Of course I know how to prime a siphon using water/sanitizer ... but the whole beauty of an autosiphon is to avoid that ancient technique. Do we no-chill brewers have to give up on such convenience?

-BigCask

I have a ball valve on my kettle and use the plain ol vynel hose from the hardware store. It won't do well with bends in it, but it does get the wort into the cube. If the line is straight from your copper racking tube to the cube I think it will be fine.

I have been wanting to get some silicone hose.

David :)

A ball valve on the brew pot is a beautiful thing.

I remember my first brew after installing a weldless one... I wondered why the heck I waited so long.

I got a couple of lengths of SS tubing that I might use for siphon tube. However, I think that a regular hose would work if clamped well. Yes it will be soft and hot. And silicone would be the preferred method, but I've transferred tons of batches using the regular stuff.

One of these days I'm going to remember to borrow that hole saw from work and install that spigot on my kettle!

Back