Trip from Mass to Wisconsin through Chicago!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedsExcellentAdventure

Reaction score
SWMBO and myself are taking a road trip from Mass to Wisconsin to a family cabin in Rhinelander, staying in Chicago for a night or two as well. Looking for some suggestions on places to stop and beer to drink from some of you local guys!

I happen to be from The Rhinelander area, and actually was there last week. It's God's country, enjoy your visit!

Bell's is in Kalamazoo, MI, they make good beer.
Three Floyd's is not far off the interstate in NW Indiana, everyone seems to love them.

From Chicago area, if you come up 90/39:

In Madison you have several Great Dane brewpubs, Vintage Brewing (brewpub), and Capitol Brewery on the west side (not sure about the hours of their bar). None are very near the interstate, so a visit would be more than a couple minutes. I like all the beer i've had at all of them. Capitol just won a bunch of medals at the US Open Beer competition.

Then in Plover is the O'so brewery, I have had one of theirs, liked it pretty well. They are within sight of the interstate.

Then in Stevens Point is the Point brewing, large facility, never been there, see signs for tours, I like their beer. They are expanding, AGAIN, so I am not alone in that assessment.

Then in Wausau is another Great Dane and a place called Hereford and Hops. Never been to either but hear positive reviews.

Rhinelander has not much going on brewery wise. The one they had hasn't brewed in a while.

Eagle River has Tribute Brewing, last week I tried their IPA and 28 Lakes Lager and liked 'em both. Unusual since I am not normally an IPA guy.

Have a good trip!

About 70 miles away from Rhinelander is my cottage. I know it's out of the way but it you make it as far as Eagle River, another 20 miles will get you here!

Anyway.........there are more breweries and brewpubs in Wisconsin all the time. Unfortunately, Rhinelander is a beer wasteland. Depending on your route, all of the beer you want to buy you'll find on the way. In Green Bay, there are several places, and in Appleton as well. So grab growlers/six packs/whatever before coming further north. Once you get to Rhinelander, there is Trigs (a grocery store) and they have a pretty good bottle selection but nothing in the way of brewpubs or beer on tap in bats.

If you can tell us your route, we'll have specific help for you.

Three Floyds is a MUST! Its actually in Indiana, just outside of the Illinios border. Google it, then go there, its probably on your route. Many world class beers there, and the ambiance is amazing :rockin:

There are so many in Chicagoland, I dont know how to give advice. Goose Island is cool cuz everyone knows of them... Revolution makes good beer usually...

About 5 minutes off the interstate are three of my local favorites. One real small guy named House of Brews, basically a brewer with just a tap room, mostly he is self distributing in the area building his brand name. A few minutes from there is a new start-up called Karben4, they have a pretty large bar with food. Karben4 took over the building and some equipment from another place called Ale Asylum. AA has been around 10 years or so but in the past year has really expanded in the state. They have a new building for their production and a very large bar with great food. You really could hit about 5 more brewers in Madison alone, but if you just want a local beer and maybe lunch on the way through then I suggest Ale Asylum, easy off and back on the interstate within minutes.

Then in Wausau is another Great Dane and a place called Hereford and Hops. Never been to either but hear positive reviews.

There's a Hereford & Hops in Escanaba, MI. I'm assuming it's owned by same company, of course. The beer was good but not great and the same for the food. I actually walked out of the place with a growler full of beer from the guest tap...

But to OP: If you're going on 80/90, and I bet you are, stop by Toledo to visit Maumee Bay Brewing Co. Some pretty damn delicious beers, don't ya know, and that's not just hometown pride!

I was up in eagle river a few years ago fishing and we stopped in at this local roadside bar and i asked for a rhinelander and the bartender said "whats that" I told her it was a beer made in rhinelander, wisc just down the road. Her reply "we have miller or bud" I said "I'll have a jack and coke"

I was up in eagle river a few years ago fishing and we stopped in at this local roadside bar and i asked for a rhinelander and the bartender said "whats that" I told her it was a beer made in rhinelander, wisc just down the road. Her reply "we have miller or bud" I said "I'll have a jack and coke"

Oh, but in Eagle River now there is an awesome tap room called Tribute Brewing Company. They not only have great house beers, they have other Wisconsin craft beers on tap. Free peanuts, and great owners. I love the place! They have growlers for sale at their brewery, but they also sell growlers at the grocery stores (Trig's).

It's new (less than a year old) but things are starting to change in the Northwoods, and you can sometimes get a craft beer now!

AMMODOG said:
About 5 minutes off the interstate are three of my local favorites....

I totally spaced Karben4 and Ale asylum. Good call. I am not a fan of AA, but I know I am in the minority. I haven't been able to try Karben4 yet. Not a brewer but a good selection at the Malt House just a few minutes in on East Washington.

If you happen to be heading through Milwaukee, two great breweries are Lakefront and Milwaukee Brewing Company. Both have some great beer and fun tours.

Got to two sisters lake at about 230 am, stopped at Three Floyd's yesterday for a few pints and to go bombers. About to open up an Arctic Panzer Wolf sitting on the lake right now, it is glorious!

I think SWMBO has voted a yes on the breweries i pointed out to her and she even drove for a while after Three Floyd's so I could have another pint. I'm a lucky man.

Even if you can't make a brewery tour, make a point to stop at Discount Liqour. There are 2 locations, 51st & Oklahoma in Milwaukee and one out in waukesha. Lots of variety of beers all in one spot.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland. Assuming you're traveling on the turnpike, which i think is a pretty safe assumption, you'll be passing right by it. It might be the only reason to ever go to cleveland

Just went to trigs and almost bought the tribute brewing IPA in a growler but walked out with a mixed sixer, ill post a pic soon, I'm at the minocqua brewing co right now having a red eye brewing thrust IPA, it's a pretty damn good citrus forward IPA

image-3303257165.jpg

Go to oso's in Plover. They have 40 Wisconsin taps. They usually get a great selection in there. You can taste a lot of Wisconsin in one stop, also see their brewery and home Brew shop

Just went to trigs and almost bought the tribute brewing IPA in a growler but walked out with a mixed sixer, ill post a pic soon, I'm at the minocqua brewing co right now having a red eye brewing thrust IPA, it's a pretty damn good citrus forward IPA

I realize this was months ago but its a good thing you chose the Red Eye beer. The Minocqua brew pub's beer sucks at best and is sometimes undrinkable. I had a sampler glass of their Vanilla Cream Ale there just so i could fully experience just how bad it could be. Seriously... Vanilla Cream Ale? WTF.

Back