Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making some tap-hangers for the upcoming homebrew festival here in Monterey. They still need top-coats to give them an even white-wash kind of tone. I like how to marker coloring came out on the apricot ale, but not sure what to do for the horse. Any thoughts?

617221_445501702173768_1441461777_o.jpg

67877_445965675460704_1041931388_n.jpg

This was made as an anniversary beer. Getting married Saturday so I decided to make a beer to honor my soon to be wife's belated mom. She was quite a character to say the least. The title is a play on words she used to say, "****in' ay tweety mother****er!" She was hilarious.

BettyJoLogo.jpg

Making some tap-hangers for the upcoming homebrew festival here in Monterey. They still need top-coats to give them an even white-wash kind of tone. I like how to marker coloring came out on the apricot ale, but not sure what to do for the horse. Any thoughts?

617221_445501702173768_1441461777_o.jpg

67877_445965675460704_1041931388_n.jpg

Simply fantastic... How did you do it?

Yes, please detail your creation of these. I have tap handles that I don't want to switch out, but I'd like people to know what beers are on tap as well. These look great!

I'd love to take credit for figuring out the process, but really it's just some good, old fashioned, Martha Stewart craft tricks:

http://content.photojojo.com/diy/diy-photo-transfers-on-wood/

As a side note... the color on the apricot hanger has been cleaned off and re-applied a few times cause I put it on after the fact with magic markers. Washable markers + faucets = runny colors. No biggie though.

This brew is bubbling away. Jak O' The Shadows, my house black lager. Named after a song from the Wheel of Time series.
Tied for my favorite recipe with my rye common.

JakOTheShadows.jpg

This brew is bubbling away. Jak O' The Shadows, my house black lager. Named after a song from the Wheel of Time series.
Tied for my favorite recipe with my rye common.

Very cool label. How are you printing them (kinkos, etc)? I've tried a few similar low-contrast/dark labels, and have not been happy with them post-printing.

Bryan

Thanks. I print them at work. We have a pretty good laser printer that I can use. I create them at a really high resolution and shrink them down, so i don't run into many problems with printing quality. I used to create them actual size (4" x 3") and they looked terrible printed.

I used to create them actual size (4" x 3") and they looked terrible printed.

I think you can fix that problem by increasing the number of pixels/inch or the resolution for the image. I have been using 600x600ppi with good results.

But I admit I am no graphic artist so I'm sure some folks on the thread will have better info on the topic. But it's been working for me!

I don't think it matters if you increase the ppi after the fact. And it's no different making them 27" big than 4" on the pc. Other than the size of the file and the image quality.

I think you can fix that problem by increasing the number of pixels/inch or the resolution for the image. I have been using 600x600ppi with good results.

But I admit I am no graphic artist so I'm sure some folks on the thread will have better info on the topic. But it's been working for me!

When I made my label I selected 3 inches by 4 inches which translated to 900 px by 1200px. When I first printed it out, I was shocked to see how tiny my writing was. 18px font was barely legible. I had to make some updates. I think I am going to increase the dimensions of my labels to something liek 5.25 by 4

I do my labels in a 33" x 27" file. Prints out really clean as 4 x 3 or whatever the exact dimensons are.

I don't think it matters if you increase the ppi after the fact.

I create my images in Gimp with a ppi of 600, not changing it after the fact. Your right, after that fact resolution change would probably pixelate the image. Starting it out with a higher ppi seem to make the finished product much nicer.

In gimp, it shouldn't pixelate it supposing you are working from the original Gimp file and not a JPG, PNG, etc, it'll be able to rescale everything correctly. Except of course imported images. Those like upscaling DVDs to HDTV level, just fakes in extra pixels.

If you are using a raster based graphics program such as photoshop or gimp, an actual size file @ 300 ppi will be more than adequate for laser printing. When you save from the native format, i.e., .psd to another format, i.e., .tif, don't compress the file.

Back