Kmeta and Ksorbate creating off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyA

Reaction score
I have heard some say that potassium sorbate creates off flavors, and using Ksorbate without Kmeta makes for an even worse flavor. Have most found this to be true? And if so, how noticeable is it?

Depends on the person. Ranging from an allergic reaction in some to a complete inability to sense even abnormally high concentrations in others. Most find sulfites to be more noticeable than sorbate in the same concentration IMO, but sorbate is generally used in higher dosages.

My threshold for sulfites is around 100ppm of free SO2, and find it gives a slightly metalic, sulfa taste. Never had too much sorbate identified as such but I assume it would be similar.

Never heard of anyone using sorbates without sulfites so can't comment on that part. But properly used, 99% of the population cannot taste them in a product.

Cool, I'll only have about 25ppm of Kmeta and 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Ksorbate, so it sounds like I should be playing it on the safe side (unless there are any allergic reactions that is).

I don't have any issues with k-meta, and I think it's around 70 ppm or even a bit more that is under the taste threshold. I normally use 50 ppm for antioxidant and preservative effects.

Sorbate I can taste a mile away, and I dislike it. I don't think there is any taste threshold with it, but I think some people are less likely to find it offensive.

Back