paw paw wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
i've seen the recipe on jack keller's site but has anyone tried to make it? i was thinking about buying a paw paw tree this spring with hopes of being able to make it in a few years but i've never even tried the fruit. can anyone help me out here?

thanks

I've heard it described as a banana taste, but have never had the opportunity to taste it myself. Mr. Keller says it makes an incredible wine and would love to try it. unfortunately none of the local grocery stores sell it. they do sell papaya, is it basically the same?

If you buy a tree you'll need two since they are not self fertile. They like some shade the first few years, but can take full sun after that. So either plant them in the shade of something you plan on cutting down, or provide some shade cloth for their first couple of summers.

I like the fruit, but haven't grown enough to make wine with yet.

imagine the flavor of a creamy banana, combined with a papaya. they range from intense flavor to subtle, depending on the variety and the maturity of the fruit.

cheers,

robin850

Back