Comercial Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzie56

Reaction score
Was just wondering, but is there any comercial companies out there so that i can try some? My aunts ex boyfriend used to talk about the stuff all the time and ive been wantin to try it out. Ive also been wantin to brew some beer for quite some time, my dad used to do it alot when i was growing up so i figure if i like the meed then i could make some myself. Thanks in advance

Sure.

There are a number of other commercial meads available, but this list is of ones that I've found locally:

Bargetto's Winery in California produces Chaucer's Mead, which is a widely available sweet mead. Also, it tastes of ick.

Lurgashall Winery in England produces a range of meads; the sweet is probably easiest to find, and is fairly good.

Oliver Winery in Indiana produces Camelot Mead, which is a decent semi-sweet mead.

Redstone Meadery in Colorado produces a range of meads, melomels and metheglins. I have a bottle from them at home waiting to be tasted.

Dang, I've been to Redstone...If I ever make it back out there I'll need to stop back in!

The Redstone is excellent, particularly the black raspberry nectar for new-bees (I'm sorry, couldn't resist). If you're new to the scene, check that stuff out. It's tastey, light, and carbonated. It'll open doors :)

mike

not too sure of you location, but kuhnhenns brewery in Warren Mi makes mead. Perhaps they can ship a "collectible" bottle with inconsequential contents in it. they are pretty cool guys here is their website if you don't find anything local. kbrewery.com

Pumbaa said:
Bunratty Mead is actually just a fortfied white wine
Bunratty makes both real mead and "meade" that is fortified white wine. The real mead comes in clay bottles and is hard to find. The fortified wine comes in glass and is easy to find.

Jsin said:
Bunratty makes both real mead and "meade" that is fortified white wine. The real mead comes in clay bottles and is hard to find. The fortified wine comes in glass and is easy to find.

Cool I've only ever had the meade which tastes slighty worse then 85 year old money ass . . . dont ask I was in the Navy

Jsin said:

This is incorrect. The only difference between Bunratty's "mead" and their "meade" is the intended market. In the US, it is illegal for them to label it "mead", so they add the extra "e". In Ireland, the labeling laws are looser so their domestic product lacks the "e". Both spellings are available in either glass bottles or crockery decanters.

See also Lindisfarne Mede/Mead.

Latest posts

Back