Avery or Poor Mans Labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydRenee

Reaction score
I see links for easy seal and a few other places that just either dont work or are not really what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone out there has a way that they do it with Avery or some Office Depot brand labels that I can put on the bottles? Size and template would be great. If not no worries but I figured I would ask after combing through many threads here and not seeing anything. Print and design will be easy for me as I am creative and have access to my work printer. Just need a template or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

less expensive: (I think around $10 for 750 labels)

Avery address labels (58160) repositionable labels--most word processing programs already have the template or you can download it for free from avery.

These come off with a short (15 min) soak in hot soapy water, and you can use an inkjet.

Slightly more expensive:
Create your label as a .jpg with GIMP (free) or photoshop, insert .jpg into microsoft word document, copy/paste it several times to fill up page with 4-6 labels per page, and print on line with FedEx Office/Kinko's---costs me about $3-4 to make 48 labels with their color laserjet.

t

I just mocked up what I wanted in photoshop until I found a size that fit me.

Printed on regular paper with a LASER JET (not an inkjet) printer. That's important because inkjet will run if they get wet of there's condensation.

To apply, I uwet the backs with a little 1% milk, apply to the bottle, squeezing out any excess to the edges and allow to dry. Then you can use a damp paper towel to clean up any milk streaking on the glass.

Works great and comes off super easily.

I use small address labels and just put them on the caps. When you pull the cap off you've got a nice clean bottle again. Soaking bottles is just a pain in my opinion, not worth the extra effort for a big custom label.

$8 for 1000 labels... Avery 5408.

I don't have a printer so I hand label, but you could easily have as much info as'll fit in a 3/4" circle on each label.

labeled bottles.jpg

labels.jpg

+1 on Avery labels for caps

but stay away from avery labels for the sides of bottles. at least for me, the ink runs once condensation hits it. could be my printer though.

less expensive: (I think around $10 for 750 labels)

Avery address labels (58160) repositionable labels--most word processing programs already have the template or you can download it for free from avery.

I like the repositionable labels as well, they come off much easier than other ones, you might not even need to soak them at all.

However, I prefer the "shipping labels" from Avery (58164). They are approximately the same size as normal beer labels.

I use a laserprinter, so ink smearing isn't a problem. However, this restricts me to just black and white labels. If done right, they still look pretty cool.

You can download the 58164 template directly from Avery.

Back