3068 in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoneycutt

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the weihenstephaner yeast in an IPA? Specifically a two hearted ale clone?

In my experience it's too assertive, flavor-wise, to allow hop flavors to come through and ferments too vigorously to let aromas survive fermentation. I've never tried dry hopping after, though.

Well I already washed it down. Bottled a Bavarian hefewiezen just now and was curious if I could use it I
In one since I have several sacks of 2 row and a sack of c40 as well as a couple pounds of centennial hops just lieing around. Oh well. Ill just get some wyeast 1056 next time in town. Thanks though that does help

If you use a higher-kilned base malt like Munich, you don't get the clove phenolics (kilning destroys precursors). You'd still get bananas though.

It'd be interesting to have a 100% Munich + 3068 banana bread base mixed with Citra and some tropical NZ hops. Like a tropical fruit smoothie beer. If that sort of thing sounds good to you. Interesting thought for sure.

I'm not one to think this is a manly drink or that is a girly drink. If you brew that and it's good send me one lol. Hell I went for a couple years on a mixed drink kick. That does sound good right now too a good tropical smoothie with a triple shot of rum mmmmmm.

Well I already washed it down. Bottled a Bavarian hefewiezen just now and was curious if I could use it I
In one since I have several sacks of 2 row and a sack of c40 as well as a couple pounds of centennial hops just lieing around. Oh well. Ill just get some wyeast 1056 next time in town. Thanks though that does help

If you wanted to get some hoppy flavors and aromas, I might try dry hopping. I've never done that myself, since my desire for a WeiPA waned after my initial failed experiments.

If you use a higher-kilned base malt like Munich, you don't get the clove phenolics (kilning destroys precursors). You'd still get bananas though.

Interesting, I did not know that!

Have you tried the Hopfenweisse collaboration between Schneider and Brooklyn? It's pretty much a cross between a traditional Bavarian hefe and American IPA, and it's awesome. If I were going to attempt something along these lines, that's what I'd be shooting for.

Have you tried the Hopfenweisse collaboration between Schneider and Brooklyn? It's pretty much a cross between a traditional Bavarian hefe and American IPA, and it's awesome. If I were going to attempt something along these lines, that's what I'd be shooting for.

Boy have I ever, damn delish too. If you find a recipe please let me know. That could be my one brew for the rest of my life. Now you've made me sad that I don't have any lol.

Back