Some trub in my bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
So I bottled up a really hoppy pale ale Thursday, and it didn't seem to go poorly at all. I didn't see much trub come through the hose or anything, but after the bottles had sat for an hour, I have what looks like very large yeast flakes settling into the bottom of the bottles. There's a good half inch of the crap sitting at the bottoms now.

Wouldn't bother me to much if it would sit, and stay there, but as soon as a bottle is picked up, a fair amount of it is lifting up into the beer. Doubly annoying as other then that the brew came out crystal clear. Anyone have any advice on solving this? Will it settle out and form a cake that doesn't lift in a few weeks?

that is a LOT but yes it should compact and make a nice cake in the bottom of the bottles after they are carbed and cooled.

It sounds like the beer must've been pretty cloudy to get 1/2" of yeast trub in the bottles. Make sure it's clear or just a little hazy when getting ready to bottle. That way,I just get a dusting on the bottom.

I think I did rush the bottling a bit, was only about 10 days from brew day to bottle. I also adding keilosol(sp?) and chitosan to it about 5 hours before bottling. Thinking that might have been the killer, didn't give it enough time to settle after that.

I started cold crashing prior to bottling... solved that problem for me. Might work for you too... then again flocculation is different for each and every yeast strain?

Good luck and pour slowly!

10 days is way to soon as you have figure out. The beer was still fermenting and adding the priming sugar will get the yeast excited all over again. Keep your bottles cover in case they decide to blow the lids off, and move them to a cold place quickly if that happens. Good luck, and the yeast should settle after a few days cold crash in the fridge.

10 days is way to soon as you have figure out. The beer was still fermenting and adding the priming sugar will get the yeast excited all over again. Keep your bottles cover in case they decide to blow the lids off, and move them to a cold place quickly if that happens. Good luck, and the yeast should settle after a few days cold crash in the fridge.

that is not necessarily right IF the FG has been reached. TIME is not arbitrarily the determining factor. IF he FG was stable and within range he should have no issues with bottle bombs supposing he primed properly. On the other hand I agree that the ten days probably had a lot to do with the excessive gunk in his bottles.

Yeah FG was reached, it was stable for about 72 hours before bottling, so not worried about bombs. Plastic bottles as well, so even if they do blow not a huge deal beyond mess.

Next time I'm def going to be wait for better clarity in the fermentor before bottling though. While I think this batch will taste just fine, it's def going to be a carefully poured batch haha.

Yeah FG was reached, it was stable for about 72 hours before bottling, so not worried about bombs. Plastic bottles as well, so even if they do blow not a huge deal beyond mess.

Next time I'm def going to be wait for better clarity in the fermentor before bottling though. While I think this batch will taste just fine, it's def going to be a carefully poured batch haha.

you gotta remember something.. yeast do what they do at their own pace. Sometimes they will take up to 3 days to really kick it in gear. leaving it longer in the fermentor will only make it more clear for next time. also whirlfloc and or cold crashing can help.

1/2"??? damn thats a lot haha

what i have noticed with my bottles is that once they are carbed and stored in the fridge for a while the trub just stays at the bottom of the bottle rather than going in a glass

I hate to sound really stupid and oblivious to the obvious; but could someone please tell me exactly what "cold crashing" is? I have a pretty good idea, but then again, I don't want to assume too much.

"In the fridge" is good enough. Don't slam anything though;)

Wait 3 days afterward, and bottle. I read that 40 F is good. I only have capabilities to do 50 F so that's what I'm planning.

Crashmorgan said:
Slamming the secondary fermenter in the fridge before bottleing. But for how long? at what temp?

I prefer to be consistent. Here is what I observed with my last 2 batches. @ 32F

Day 1: Beer clears slightly, yeast are still actively visible though.

Day 2: yeast are no longer suspended trub is thick and compacted, but some " stuff" is still floating.

Day 3: Beer clears, noticable clarity from top of beer to bottom.

Day 4: No noticeable change. When agitated, settles rapidly.

Day 5: Same.

I think 72 hours is as far as should should go with a cold crash. The closer to freezing the better...in my opinion.

Later,

J

Im glad you made this topic. My last batch a large amount of trub. Maybe 1/4" in the bottom of most of the bottles. I accidentally dipped the racking cane when transferring to my bottling bucket so I assumed thats where it came from. This was only my second batch so im still figuring everything out, but I think I was over-eager to get the brew in the bottle. Gonna take a little more time next time. Anyways. The point is, this thread eased my mind about all the trub I had this round :) So thank you.

Edit: And thank you for explaining cold crashing. I may have to give that a shot when I can afford a dedicated "reefer."

Im glad you made this topic. My last batch a large amount of trub. Maybe 1/4" in the bottom of most of the bottles. I accidentally dipped the racking cane when transferring to my bottling bucket so I assumed thats where it came from. This was only my second batch so im still figuring everything out, but I think I was over-eager to get the brew in the bottle. Gonna take a little more time next time. Anyways. The point is, this thread eased my mind about all the trub I had this round :) So thank you.

Edit: And thank you for explaining cold crashing. I may have to give that a shot when I can afford a dedicated "reefer."

Yup time is all it takes, and alot of hurry up and wait. Cheers:tank:

I assume you know this, but keep the cane on the top of the liquid and then lower it as you go.

Latest posts

Back