American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you've definitely got a krausen, so I guess you just have to be patient.

How many packages of yeast did you use, and what type?

18C is a great temp for ales- is that the room temperature, or do you have a thermometer strip on the outside of the fermenter?

18 deg C is the room temperature that. Electric baseboard heat.

I used 1 packet of Safale-05. I have another that I can pitch if necessary.

18 deg C is the room temperature that. Electric baseboard heat.

I used 1 packet of Safale-05. I have another that I can pitch if necessary.

No, it's going now so it should be fine. That is what I usually pitch- one package of S05, and I usually ferment it at 62-65F. I've never had a problem, so I have no idea why yours are so slow. I guess just wait until all signs of fermentation are over, and check it again. You know what they say- patience is a virtue!

No, it's going now so it should be fine. That is what I usually pitch- one package of S05, and I usually ferment it at 62-65F. I've never had a problem, so I have no idea why yours are so slow. I guess just wait until all signs of fermentation are over, and check it again. You know what they say- patience is a virtue!

ok sounds good.

I'll report back in another week.

Been enjoying this brew for a few days so I thought I'd share some pics :D

Nice Head!
P1080698.jpg

Decent lacing too!
P1080703.jpg

Thanks again Yooper!

Thanks for the photos! They're making me thirsty. I'm going to dryhop mine this week, and hopefully keg it next week. It's definitely my favorite beer.

All these pictures of beer are driving me nuts! I can't want to get started. I ordered my ingredients a week ago from my LHBS, but the kid working there seemed to stunned to even know what yeast is. I hope he wound up ordering the right stuff . . .
While I'm waiting I did have a question. Does anyone skim off the krausen, or just let it fall back into the beer. I know Kaiser has a thread about this claiming it makes a lot-o-difference, but there are so many views on subjects like there. Anyone have any thoughts?

All these pictures of beer are driving me nuts! I can't want to get started. I ordered my ingredients a week ago from my LHBS, but the kid working there seemed to stunned to even know what yeast is. I hope he wound up ordering the right stuff . . .
While I'm waiting I did have a question. Does anyone skim off the krausen, or just let it fall back into the beer. I know Kaiser has a thread about this claiming it makes a lot-o-difference, but there are so many views on subjects like there. Anyone have any thoughts?

I don't skim. I think for very delicate German lagers it may make a difference, but to be honest, I don't do it for my lagers either. I respect Kaiser's research and would say he's correct about the "right" way. I guess my approach is more of a "good enough" way. I have never had any harsh flavors, off-flavors, or other problems with any of my beers, wines, meads, or ciders, so I'm continuing to do what I've always done.

So this recipe is about 34 bucks or so?

Not for me! I buy hops by the pound, so my simcoe was $1.25/ounce and the amarillo was $0.57/ounce, and the warrior was similar. I buy grain by the sack, too, so for me my cost was $12 for the grain, and about $4 for the hops. The yeast I wash and reuse, or else use dry. So, maybe $18 total for the batch, all-grain.

For extract, though, I'd say that the DME would be about $30 and the crystal malt would be about $1.75 and then the hops vary in price from $2-$3 an ounce.

So I just got back from the LHBS. As I walk in, "Oh hey, your order came in a few days ago, we just didn't bother to call you." Well thanks, I guess. I look through the ingredients, and they forget to send me the simco hops! Not to pleased at this point. Then the guy comes out from the back room with the wyeast smack pack, which is completely inflated and at room temperature. So now I'm set back another 2 - 3 days and very angry with the only business in town that can order beer stuff.

So this recipe is about 34 bucks or so?

mine came out to $54, though I used more hops for dry hopping than yooper's recipe(I don't have a vacuum sealer and decided I should use up the extras), plus I think I bought a blowoff tube too which is $2-$3 of that price, so about $50. That's extract prices though too, all grain may be cheaper, but since I don't do all grain yet I wouldn't know

Though when I was in the brew shop buying ingredients for the wheat beer I'm brewing right now, the guy mentioned that hop prices had just dropped, so it may be cheaper now.

So I just got back from the LHBS. As I walk in, "Oh hey, your order came in a few days ago, we just didn't bother to call you." Well thanks, I guess. I look through the ingredients, and they forget to send me the simco hops! Not to pleased at this point. Then the guy comes out from the back room with the wyeast smack pack, which is completely inflated and at room temperature. So now I'm set back another 2 - 3 days and very angry with the only business in town that can order beer stuff.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits

Those are both local to me. I shop at Midwest because they are close to my office and they tend to be a bit cheaper than NB.....either one will ship straight to your house, no need to mess around with a local middle man if they don't have the stuff on hand

Thanks for the help but I don't think they ship to canada, and I don't think I could afford the international shipping if they did! It's though being a starving grad student, so when these guys will order in supplies without shipping I have to go with the flow.

Thanks for the help but I don't think they ship to canada, and I don't think I could afford the international shipping if they did! It's though being a starving grad student, so when these guys will order in supplies without shipping I have to go with the flow.

my bad should've looked at your location :D Though you look like you're close to the border. I work with some Canadians who just get a drop box on the other side of the border for having things shipped. the place will hold their packages til they show up to get them. Sounds like a good way to get around shipping charges, I've been told tariffs at the border are far cheaper than shipping(so I've been told, I'm not a Canadian so I can't personally vouch for any of this)....just a thought though.

Yooper,

Amazing. Thanks so much for posting this recipe, it turned out wonderful! I can almost feel the water turn under the ship, sailing out the high seas to India...Ohhh yeah..life is good.

This brew never ceases to impress yooper!

My soon-to-be-father-in-law was over tonight and we were grilling, and I have never seen him drink a beer in the over 3 years I have known him, but since I've been over in his garage borrowing tools for making various brewing contraptions, and he also donated a turkey fryer & propane tank to the cause, he asked for a sip of my beer(DFH 60 min clone) out of curiosity. He then sat there for a few minutes until he finally asked if he could have a glass :D

This was also the first time my fiance had ever seen him drinking beer and she's known him way longer than me(her entire life) :D

This brew never ceases to impress yooper!

My soon-to-be-father-in-law was over tonight and we were grilling, and I have never seen him drink a beer in the over 3 years I have known him, but since I've been over in his garage borrowing tools for making various brewing contraptions, and he also donated a turkey fryer & propane tank to the cause, he asked for a sip of my beer(DFH 60 min clone) out of curiosity. He then sat there for a few minutes until he finally asked if he could have a glass :D

This was also the first time my fiance had ever seen him drinking beer and she's known him way longer than me(her entire life) :D

See what good beer does...brings everyone together. I love it! You should be proud! And this is the best reicpe! Thanks Again Yoop!

See what good beer does...brings everyone together. I love it! You should be proud! And this is the best reicpe! Thanks Again Yoop!

You're welcome. I'll be over to your house next week to drink some of your beer!

By the way, I made this beer again last week (about 12 days ago, actually) I didn't have amber malt, so I used biscuit malt. I also used a bag for my hops to not clog up my shiny new diptube that lschiavo made and installed.

I sampled it yesterday- it's definitely not the same old recipe. It's less bitter, which I can attribute to the hops bag, and it's almost copper colored. It's more like an APA. I added the dryhops yesterday, and I think it'll be a good beer but definitely not as planned.

You're welcome. I'll be over to your house next week to drink some of your beer!

By the way, I made this beer again last week (about 12 days ago, actually) I didn't have amber malt, so I used biscuit malt. I also used a bag for my hops to not clog up my shiny new diptube that lschiavo made and installed.

I sampled it yesterday- it's definitely not the same old recipe. It's less bitter, which I can attribute to the hops bag, and it's almost copper colored. It's more like an APA. I added the dryhops yesterday, and I think it'll be a good beer but definitely not as planned.

We used a hop bag and you said you liked ours. I guess I just dont want to believe it takes anything away (although common sense says it would). It make things too convienient.

I wil help you get back to the original. This one is too good to mess with!

We used a hop bag and you said you liked ours. I guess I just dont want to believe it takes anything away (although common sense says it would). It make things too convienient.

I wil help you get back to the original. This one is too good to mess with!

Well, I just remembered that I way overshot my volume in this batch. That would explain the lack of bitterness, I guess. Remember, I ended up with about 6.5 gallons in the fermenter? But I also got 77% efficiency, so I didn't sweat it. That would explain the flavor changes, though!

Thanks, Yooper. Looking forward to making this! Thanks specially for posting your BeerSmith recipe file!

Finally put on the extract version of this a few days ago, and my clothes, hands, apartment still smell like hops, its fantastic. This was my first time using whole leaf hops and man, by the end of the boil it was a thick hop soup. I tried to whirlpool and let it settle before siphoning to the bucket, but no dice. Then I tried pouring it through a nylon bag, but it retained all the wort too. Finally got it all in and topped off to 5 gal, and wound up with a OG 1.064.
Im going to try this again in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to separate the hops/wort and the low OG?

Finally put on the extract version of this a few days ago, and my clothes, hands, apartment still smell like hops, its fantastic. This was my first time using whole leaf hops and man, by the end of the boil it was a thick hop soup. I tried to whirlpool and let it settle before siphoning to the bucket, but no dice. Then I tried pouring it through a nylon bag, but it retained all the wort too. Finally got it all in and topped off to 5 gal, and wound up with a OG 1.064.
Im going to try this again in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to separate the hops/wort and the low OG?

Good to see a fellow Atlantic Canadian!

I used a grain bag when adding the hops. Allows you to take the hops out of the wort after the boil. Less mess.

I don't think that's that low, is it? Mine came out at 1.060, and finished at 1.017, and it was VERY tasty!

maybe this has been answered already but what is the advantage of the continuous hopping. could you get close to same results with doing normal hop additions. by the way this has been on the gas for a few days now, ill let you know how it comes out when i give it a try.

maybe this has been answered already but what is the advantage of the continuous hopping. could you get close to same results with doing normal hop additions. by the way this has been on the gas for a few days now, ill let you know how it comes out when i give it a try.

I've never done it traditionally- the recipe is a clone of DFH's 60, and one of the things they do is "continuous hopping". They have a device that does it, but I read that when he first started, he used one of those old football games to add the hops. You know, the football game that vibrated the people around? That's what he put the hops on to continually fall into the wort.

I know that some people have said they didn't have the patience to continuously hop, and added the hops in timed intervals. I didn't taste their beers to compare, though.

another thing ive wondered about is the ibu calculated with beersmith. how accurate is the ibu given you cant set up the recipe for continuously hoppped wort with beersmith.

another thing ive wondered about is the ibu calculated with beersmith. how accurate is the ibu given you cant set up the recipe for continuously hoppped wort with beersmith.

It's not accurate. You can calculate with the bittering hops, adding half of them at 60 minutes and the rest at maybe 40 minutes into Beersmith, and sort of guestimate that way. The flavor hops are added continuously from 35-0, so the software isn't helpful in determining that. One guy I know just input .15 sized additions every 5 minutes, or whatever the size was to use up the simcoe/amarillo hops because he wanted to have a better grasp of the IBUs but I never really cared all that much. I like the beer, and it tastes pretty good regardless of what the actual IBUs are, so I never worried about it. I do add at least 1/2 of the bittering hops at 60 minutes, so there is a firm bitterness behind it to balance it but otherwise I don't concern myself too much with it.

i might have made a mistake on brew day, i think i continuosly added the warrior instead of adding half at 60

That still should be ok- I've done it both ways. The vast majority of the warrior would have been added before 45 minutes, and all of it before 35, so it all went for bittering. Maybe just a few less IBUs, but still fine.

I plan on ordering the ingredients for this pretty soon. The extract recipe calls for a 2.5 gallon boil, id like to start with about 6.25 gallons of water (so i end up with 5 gallons), how would this change the recipe? Mainly, the hops. I read through the 25 pages or so of this and didnt see where anyone had modified the recipe for this type of boil. Also, should i add all 8lbs of DME at the beginning of the boil? Or put some in the beginning and some towards the end? Sorry if i missed the answers to my questions!

I plan on ordering the ingredients for this pretty soon. The extract recipe calls for a 2.5 gallon boil, id like to start with about 6.25 gallons of water (so i end up with 5 gallons), how would this change the recipe? Mainly, the hops. I read through the 25 pages or so of this and didnt see where anyone had modified the recipe for this type of boil. Also, should i add all 8lbs of DME at the beginning of the boil? Or put some in the beginning and some towards the end? Sorry if i missed the answers to my questions!

If you're doing a full boil, you can add all of the extract at the beginning, and follow the hopping for the AG batch. That should give you exactly the correct amount of hopping.

crap, one more question. The LME is Pale LME, i assume the equivalent DME is just light DME? sorry for the dumb question!

Here's the recipe I used to make this one with a full boil and extract. Note that I used more hops in the secondary than Yooper's recipe because I am still buying hops in 1oz bags and I didn't want to have any left overs, so I just threw all the hops that didn't go into the boil into the secondary and it was delicious :D

--------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (35 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Notes:
------
Steeped grains for 60 min at 150F
Continually added 0.75 warrior hops for first 25 min
Continually added .5 Simco & .5 Amarillo leaf hops for 35 min.
Used starter for the pacman yeast.
Will dry hop with remaining hops when racked to secondary.

Here's the recipe I used to make this one with a full boil and extract. Note that I used more hops in the secondary than Yooper's recipe because I am still buying hops in 1oz bags and I didn't want to have any left overs, so I just threw all the hops that didn't go into the boil into the secondary and it was delicious :D

--------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 8 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (35 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Notes:
------
Steeped grains for 60 min at 150F
Continually added 0.75 warrior hops for first 25 min
Continually added .5 Simco & .5 Amarillo leaf hops for 35 min.
Used starter for the pacman yeast.
Will dry hop with remaining hops when racked to secondary.

Looks good, thanks!

Back