1st cider very sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnomepants

Reaction score
So today I tasted my first batch of cider. I didnt take any gravity readings etc. I did 5 gallons of local cider with champagne yeast, it was very dry kind of gross, I added two cans of AJ concentrate into the keg it went where its been at 20psi for a week, I just tasted it and it is very very sweet and a little syrupy. Is there anything I can do to make it a little less sweet? Thanks

If it is too sweet for your liking...take a gravity reading. Depending on the outcome of the gravity reading, you may want to add a little more yeast and ferment it some more. If it is "syrupy" add some more water to it. Take care of the sweetness issue first.

I added two cans to my keg, and it was super sweet... upon realizing the dip tube was probably right where the juice was at, I shook / stirred it up and now it's great. Not too sweet at all. SWMBO thinks I should try one more can next time.

Unless your two concentrated cans were the big ones, I would bet you just need to shake it up a bit and get it all mixed up.

thanks I will try that before refermenting although I keep tasting it every day to see if it changes... it is delicious if you have just one cup but Im a multiple serving kind of gal...

2 cans of concentrate should not make it too sweet, but usually I just add one.
Really, just shake up the keg, pour a half pint and put it aside, then pour another pint. The first one will be what was built up in the line. The second one will be the mixed up one. Compare them.
If it is still too sweet, back sweeten with only one can.

Back