Weird tasting bottled water... effect on brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drustanos

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of 500ml bottled water to use to bottle my beer (ghetto, I know), and I used 8 litres of the water to brew some pale ale (brew house extract kit).

This water should be just fine, but I opened one of these today and it tastes weird. Hard to describe, but something like a stale refridgerator.

The brand is nestle and it says the water comes from hope springs, bc (which isnt too far away from where I live). The salt content is listed as 87 PPM. Is this maybe what I taste?

Just want to know if anyone has run into this problem and any speculations on what it will do to my beer.

Thanks

I've had nestle bottled water and thought it tasted good. I also use bottled water in my brewing and it works fine. I could not tell you why your tastes funnny. Probably nothing.

What kind of plastic is the water in?

Remmember,most bottled water is just bottled tap water,also there aren't any quality controlls in place,like inspections for municapal water,which are checked daily. There arent any use by dates on it either,bottled water lasts about 90-120 days if stored properly,if it is old and left in warm or hot sun it can grow stuff you cant see.I installed a
dual filter system under the sink(about 78.00)bucks andmy water is safe and tastes great

actually most bottle water is tap water treated with reverse osmosis. Pretty much after RO it doesn't matter the source, you get nearly pure water out. They add minerals cause pure water is bad for your teeth and is acidic. You need somthing in your water.

A standard block filter will not lower the TDS of the water. And I doubt the abilty for them to degrade chloramines. Reverse osmosis can.

actually most bottle water is tap water treated with reverse osmosis.

I think in this case it's just natural spring water, as the label says.
img0027wk7.jpg

The label states 45 PPM of Bicarbonate, 19 PPM Calcium, 8 PPM Chlorine, with the rest being too low for me to care.

Must just be the minerals and crap I am tasting, so hopefully this is better than from the tap.

Next time I will use reverse osmosis water.

Back