Mash in temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I've been trying to dial in my temps for mash in using Beersmith. Last weekend I mashed in with 180º water into about 20 lbs of grain and was just slightly high in the mash. Today I'm doing just over 17lbs of grain and Beersmith is telling me to use 164.6º water. This is single infusion, medium body, batch sparge with a ratio of 1.5 quarts per pound. I left the grain and MLT temp as room temp. I can't see any way that the water will be hot enough at that temp.

I'm sure I used Beersmith to calculate my temps last weekend too and thought it gave me the 180 degree temp. I went over because I pre-heated the tun. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Oh, and that's with 26.5 quarts of water. Last weekend the quantity it told me to use was out to lunch so I put in as much as I though was needed. I suspect the temp would have been lower if I'd had the proper water to grain ratio set.

I use beersmith and never mash in at the temp that it says. I have a little program someone wrote, its an infusion mash temperature calculator, and I have used it since day 1 and its right on the money, I mean for me right on. It's always 5 degrees higher than beersmith says. PM me if you want me to sent it to you.

That calculator does not take into consideration the amount of grain. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch. In any case, it says a strike of 170º which is still higher than Beersmith and too low for 10 gallons IMHO.

Bobby_M said:
Assuming a preheated tun, 167-170F is always the range BTP gives me on a 1.25qt/lb dough in.

That sounds right, Bobby. I went to 176º and the mash went to 160º. I stirred for awhile with the lid off to get it down a little (it's about 23º outside). I probably would have done better at 170º - 172º. Certainly 164º would have been too low.

The rackers.org calculator has always been consistent for me. I realize it doesn't ask for grain weight but it still is accurate. I preheat the cooler.

bandt9299 said:
I use beersmith and never mash in at the temp that it says. I have a little program someone wrote, its an infusion mash temperature calculator, and I have used it since day 1 and its right on the money, I mean for me right on. It's always 5 degrees higher than beersmith says. PM me if you want me to sent it to you.
If that's the case you need to change a few of the settings for your MLT in Beersmith, then it will give you the right numbers.

I go with what the Beersmith says and it's always right (once I got all the setting adjusted)..

I endup for a 10 gal batch (20+ pounds) 170-175* strike to hit the 150 - 154* rest.

Beersmith works correctly if you give it inputs it needs. You have to enter your equipment and it's weight along with the grain temp and qts strike water per pound of grain. Then as long as the mash tun temp is stabilized at the strike temp you can add the grain and stir and again let it stabilize and take the temp and for me it is always spot on. Once you find your speed of doing this procedure with accurate results you can do it every time and not have problems.

Hey Fingers -- if it seemed to work previously, and now the temps seem to low (they do to me), then I bet it was one of two things:

1. You forgot to check off that 'Adjust Temp for Equipment' option in the recipe page (Mash Profile area).

2. You changed your equipment profile. As stated above, Beersmith is REALLY sensitive to how you set up your equipment profile in each recipe. I had all sorts of problems until I figured this out and dialed-in a profile for each of my mash tuns.

FWIW, I think the Beersmith temp calculations are among the most sophisticated out there, and they do work well when you get them dialed-in.

I agree you need to put more numbers into Beersmith. I love that program, but it took me three brews to clock in my system. I still tweak the numbers every now and then, but it gives me highly accurate numbers on my beer. I wish Beersmith had a better look to it, but I love it after I figured it out a little bit.

FlyGuy said:
Hey Fingers -- if it seemed to work previously, and now the temps seem to low (they do to me), then I bet it was one of two things:

1. You forgot to check off that 'Adjust Temp for Equipment' option in the recipe page (Mash Profile area).

2. You changed your equipment profile. As stated above, Beersmith is REALLY sensitive to how you set up your equipment profile in each recipe. I had all sorts of problems until I figured this out and dialed-in a profile for each of my mash tuns.

FWIW, I think the Beersmith temp calculations are among the most sophisticated out there, and they do work well when you get them dialed-in.

Good one, Flyguy, that's exactly what happened. The equipment settings were right out to lunch. Once I got them straightened out it told me to strike at 172º. I'll remember to check that in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

i would like to have it.

I usually go with 180F into a cold cooler MLT, let it take some heat away and then dough in when it hits 170F. I usually nail the temp at 152.

This is what I do. Add ~180+ water to tun, cover, leave for 10m, check temps, when it's just below 170, dough-in, stir like crazy, repeat until temp is where I want it, cover.

I don't think I'll ever get the preheating the mash tun thing. Why add a step to the brew day. The program I use is right on the money every time. within 1 degree. Why pre heat? PM me and give me your e mail and I will happily give you the program. I usually brew 5 gallons. So I know Its spot on for 5.

I don't think I'll ever get the preheating the mash tun thing. Why add a step to the brew day. The program I use is right on the money every time. within 1 degree. Why pre heat? PM me and give me your e mail and I will happily give you the program. I usually brew 5 gallons. So I know Its spot on for 5.

It's not an extra step whatsoever. I put my strike water in at 180+ and cover. I use that same water to dough-in. It's just waiting a bit to let the tun absorb some heat. I do other things related to the brew-day while this happens, like weigh hop additions, get irish moss set out, etc.

But Why? Why not dough in when its time to dough in IE. when the water hits temp?? I guess its just personal. I've brewed many times with the local brewer at the brew pub, 7 barrels and I can assure you there is no tun warming. he usually doughs in @ 175.

I just brewed an ESB today/tonight using Beersmith, and strike water temp was within two degrees of actual. I guess I'd ask you if you've calibrated your equipment settings.

Does your program account for your tun's T/M?

Back