Tips And Tricks Thread....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1. Do you know how to empty a glass carboy full of water super quick? Put your racking cane inside it and dump....

2. Same principle for filling bottles with water during the dreaded cleaning process/soaking....take a drinking straw and insert it into bottle, submerge it completely in the water in your soaking pot.....slowly pull the straw out of the bottle and it will fill completely in less than 3 seconds....

ADD MORE!!!!

Whoa, I have to try that straw in the bottle thing!

A tip my brother brought to me from Beer School at Busch Gardens in Tampa: Don't put your beer glasses in the freezer, instead, keep them in the fridge. You will get a better head on your beer...

ryser2k said:
Whoa, I have to try that straw in the bottle thing!

A tip my brother brought to me from Beer School at Busch Gardens in Tampa: Don't put your beer glasses in the freezer, instead, keep them in the fridge. You will get a better head on your beer...

I'm a 2 time Beer school graduate from the Williamsburg, VA Busch Gardens. I learned that beer glass trick, and that 99% of Bud's beers suck. ;) I liked the Bare Knuckle Stout though. :p

One more that I read in a Papazian book that has me intrigued....

"to reduce chill haze (and reduce harshness), add an ounce of finely crushed black malt to your lighter beers at the end of the mash. It will not affect color but will absorb some of the polyphenols, tannins and long-chained problems that cause chill haze and astringent character in beers"

I don't know if that works but I'm gonna try it.....

Hey orrelse, how bout putting these all these suggestions inyour first post in a index. Than we can keep this real easy to read.

Here is my begginer's advice since im a begginer.

If you need a boiling pot, dont by a commercial grade one unless you can get it very very cheap. I use the cheap Indian made ones you can get at kmart/meier's etc. The have thinner walls but they are stainless steel and if they go bad, its cheaper to just buy another.
Of course I havent had a problem with mine yet, 3 batches down so far.

Also, A friend of mine uses a turkey cooking propane cooker to boil his big batches outside. For big volumes, this technique will keep your house cooler.

Ha,

Orrelse, i figured out the racking cane trick the first time i was cleaning a carboy. the gears in my head started turning and that worked perfect. I meant to make a post about it, but never got arount to it.

I actually think the Bare Knuckle Stout that Budweiser is considering sending to the market is a microbrew that they bought out and are testing the market waters to see if it would be profitable to release it or let it die.

I don't think it is a proprietary Budweiser invention...

For those of you who save commercial bottles for capping....two brands I've come across who's bottles won't take a standard cap (at least with my red baron capper) are Bass and Heineken.

Back