Want a homebrew club in Valdosta, Ga

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill1968

Reaction score
I am looking for people in or near Valdosta, Ga that would be intrested in starting up a homebrew club. I have no idea how to really start one up but I would guess we just need a few people that would like to get together and start from there. I know there are a few people in the area as I have seen them post on this board before. Reply back on here and lets see if we can get one going.
Thanks,
Bill

I have been talking with a few guys about this and we are in the very early stages of starting a club in valdosta. I don't think any of them are on this forum yet, most of them have just started brewing in the last year. I'm sure there are a few guys in valdosta who are on homebrewtalk but i've yet to meet them. If that is the case then there should be 10 or so homebrewers in the local area that could make up the club. I have 6 in mind including myself and a few of them say they know a guy who knows a guy who homebrews in valdosta, but you know how that goes. I know the owner/manager at 5 points liquor and have thought of putting a flyer up near the craftbrew section if he allows, but I want to attract homebrewers not beer drinkers. I'm not sure how well that would work. Pm and we'll get this started. We have not talked about specific dates but we were thinking maybe once a month. I like the way Lowndes County Homebrewers Guild sounds, it would include those in the valdosta vicinity, but we would all agree on a name at the first meeting of course. Let me know what's up guys.

Did this thing ever take off? I am just getting started and if nothing else I just need someone to split gas with me going to Jax or Tallahassee for supplies.

No. Tifton has a new shop, but he doesn't have much. Not a lot of variety on grain or hops and no liquid yeast, but hey it is Tifton. Not sure if he'll last up there.

There is a brew shop in St Marys now too, called survival shop. My wife stopped in there for me the other day. The guy was pretty nice and competitive prices with just brew it in Jax. Still not as close as Tallahassee though.

This may be finally happening. I'm not leading it so I'll post info on it as I get it. A few VSU professors are trying to get it going. Pm me and I'll pass your info to them. I'm almost positive they're not on this forum.

I got your info in the PM. I'll send it on to Danny. The next meeting should be jan 15th or jan 28th. Should be based on majority. We're still debating on a place. I think we went with VORLAUF as our name, Valdosta Order of Real Lagers, Ales and Unique Fermentables. I'm sure Danny will get you an email to you soon and you can pass your friends info on to him if you think you all would like to be in. I think we've got 15 or so on the email list so it's looking like a good size group. Talk with you soon. Carl.

Thanks, re-messaged you because I didn't think it went thru. Looking forward to the group- great name!!

-S.

I got your info to Danny but he's home up north for Christmas so he may not be messing with the club stuff until he gets back. It's looking like we'll have 15-20 guys if you and your friends are in. I hope we can get a good day every month for every one to participate, I'm looking forward to getting this going. Thanks, Carl.

I would be interested in getting a homebrew club going in south ga. I too live in the Valdosta area. Please let me know if (but hopefully when) there is enough interest to get together. If not, why not get together one weekend at a local establishment to have a meet & greet and perhaps kick around some ideas. If there is going to be one, its got to start somewhere...

Cheers,

Brian

Pm me your email an I'll add it to the club list. There was a club last year that didn't take off that has combined with ours. The founder offered to change their face book page into ours as we hadn't made a page yet, there isn't much info on it now but it'll be where most of our communicating will go on. We meet every third Wednesday at 6pm at a location determined the meeting before. This march meeting we've decided to collect club dues for the year from those interested in the club. Obviously new people to the club can wait to pay until they've decided to join. We plan to use the dues for guest speakers/brewers, big brews, possible events etc. We plan to become AHA sanctioned and participate in some of their events like teach a friend to brew day, etc. We voted last meeting on officers, they are:

President - Danny Rowland
Vice President - Carl Layton(me)
Secretary -Brent Williams
Communications officer - Keith Warburg (he'll maintain FB page)
Treasurer - Justin Barrett

March will be only the 4th time we've met so the structure of the meetings are very loose as we're still kinda meeting everyone. Only a few of the current members have been in clubs so we're making this up as we go, bring your ideas and expectations for what you want to get out of this. So far we have a wide range of experienced brewers and it seems we'll have a very diverse group where everyone will have something to offer. I believe we're in the 25-30 member range, adding more every week. Spread the word and it'll be good to meet you and anyone else who stumbles into this thread on this forum. Like the FB page, Valdosta Order of Real Lagers, Ales and Unique Fermentables. (VORLAUF) Cheers, Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm very much a beginner, but I'm interested in meeting up with you guys and learning something over some beers.

-John

Pm me your email and I'll get you on the list. If you're on face book like our page and you'll get meeting times, places and other info. We just had a meeting a week ago. The next one is april 16th, don't worry, we have a bunch of beginners and a few just learning what they can before they do their first batch. We average 10-15 per meeting and have about 30ish on the club list, having had just 5 or so meetings I think we're growing fast into a great club, it'll be nice to meet you. Cheers.
Carl

https://www.facebook.com/VORLAUF

Wow, this club has been growing! We had quite the turnout at our last meeting!

Next meeting (May 28th) we're doing a mini-competition of Pale Ales that everyone is bringing and we have a guest pro visiting - Michael Payne - brewmaster and co-owner of Aardwolf in Jacksonville, FL.

This is going to be one helluva meeting!

Are you all still up and running?

I am moving to Jennings FL in the spring or summer...hoping you all are still meeting.

Yup. Every 3rd wed. It's going good, 20 or so come to meetings and we're up to 35 or so officially. It'll be nice to meet you when you move to fl.

Are you all still up and running?

I am moving to Jennings FL in the spring or summer...hoping you all are still meeting.

Yep! We are up, running, and active! Our next meeting is on Wednesday at an awesome restaurant in town. They give us their private side room to use. In November we are hosting an AHA Learn to Homebrew Day and in December we are even having a club Christmas party!

Hope to see you in the spring!

Yup. Every 3rd wed. It's going good, 20 or so come to meetings and we're up to 35 or so officially. It'll be nice to meet you when you move to fl.

I take it we both get the emails/notifications! Haha

Back