Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bell's Oarsmen has to be one of the worst. Its supposed to be a berliner weisse and about the only thing they got right was the color and abv. Smelled like wet moldy grain...which is fine since a lot of berliners have a weird smell.

Then I took a swig and the first impression was this tastes exactly like vomit. The overall lemonness just enhanced the taste further. Then theres the huge wheat character that just disnt meld well. I know berliners are usually half wheat but this beer was awful. Not tart, not dry, not crisp and definitely not refreshing.

Sounds like dirty tap lines.

Rainier Beer. So, so bad. But some people up in the NW live on that stuff. I bought a 12 pack and ended up giving the remaining 11 to my brother in law.

Without question!

Voodoo-Doughnut-Bacon-Maple-Porter-bj.png

Apparently my tastes are not yet properly refined. The reviews were just raving for this one. I clearly didn't understand the style and I focused on the "Red Ale Aged in Oak Barrels" - and missed the significance of "Flanders Style".

I was prepared for tart, but not for the complexity that laid before me. Perhaps this is more of a FAIL tale on my part, but ewww.

Apparently my tastes are not yet properly refined. The reviews were just raving for this one. I clearly didn't understand the style and I focused on the "Red Ale Aged in Oak Barrels" - and missed the significance of "Flanders Style".

I was prepared for tart, but not for the complexity that laid before me. Perhaps this is more of a FAIL tale on my part, but ewww.

Enh, consider it part of your experience in branching out to different styles. I absolutely hated rauch bier the first time I tried one, and now I love the style. Sour beers, if I had tried one around that same time, would have met with a similar dislike. If you want, you could try going to a bar that specializes in off the wall beers (at least by most standards) and ask them if you can try several Flemish style ales or which ones they would recommend.

Or not, you could leave it and come back to it when, and if, you're ready to try again.

Rolling Rock, Heiniken, anything from SE Asia (beer Chang is OK, but maybe just because I was so desperate at the time!), Carlsberg, Red Stripe

We always considered Kokanee to be "the best of the worst" though!! Props to Canada!

I actually really enjoyed that one (especially after aging it a while). One of the few American Flanders-styled ales I've thought held a candle to the Belgian ones.

I'd be seriously discomfited drinking beer brewed in a place called Placentia...

Worst I ever had was miller lite from a keg at a wedding.
eee gats horrible.

Normal miller lite carbonated like a sprite is retched stuff.

I am also NOT a fan of any bud product.

sam adams cran lambic makes my gag reflex come up even now.

Worst I ever had was miller lite from a keg at a wedding.
eee gats horrible.

Normal miller lite carbonated like a sprite is retched stuff.

I am also NOT a fan of any bud product.

sam adams cran lambic makes my gag reflex come up even now.

Last wedding I was at they made one of the normal catering guys "bartend". He pumped the keg and pumped the keg and pumped the keg. I think he thought they more he pumped the better it would be.

Everything was pure foam.

Last wedding I was at they made one of the normal catering guys "bartend". He pumped the keg and pumped the keg and pumped the keg. I think he thought they more he pumped the better it would be.

Yikes, that's rough. It's situations like those that make me wish I carried my flask more often...

Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier got it two years ago in their fall seasonal package..

I about gagged.. I thought it had to be a joke. Who the heck would want a beer that tastes like your licking rainwater off a overly cooked side of ribs on a put out bonfire..? It tastes like my clothes smelt after a weekend in the woods (which is NOT good).

Maybe some like that kind of stuff.. IF You got some overly SWEET BBQ, I can see where in that ONE case it would be a drinkable beer.

MeatyPortion said:
Enh, consider it part of your experience in branching out to different styles. I absolutely hated rauch bier the first time I tried one, and now I love the style. Sour beers, if I had tried one around that same time, would have met with a similar dislike. If you want, you could try going to a bar that specializes in off the wall beers (at least by most standards) and ask them if you can try several Flemish style ales or which ones they would recommend.

Or not, you could leave it and come back to it when, and if, you're ready to try again.

I'm on board for that, I'm still trying to learn to love single malt whisky one pricey bottle at a time...

Game Day. it was like $3 a 12pk at grocery outlet and tasted like they were bottling the sludge out of the floor drains. I took one sip, then forbid anyone else to drink it... can't believe they got away with selling that garbage water.

WarrantedFED said:

I gotcha.. One day I was enjoying an amazing glass of Russian River Consecration, and thought to myself "I've got to let my wife try this.". She was actually genuinely upset she hated it that bad. She said it should be named "Constipation" lol.. Sour beers are not for the uninitiated, but when you like them they're REALLY good. Unlike any other beverage.

CreamyGoodness said:

That's ***** slap worthy.

King Fisher Premium Lager.

I had it ad an upscale, top notch Indian restaurant. I was in an Indian place and the beer came out of India. Even Ice cold, I could hardly choke it down.

It is quite possible it was improperly stored and had gone skunky.. Had that happen to a few beers I love.

Back