Yeast for blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat1993

Reaction score
I started a batch of jack Kellers blackberry wine yesterday. I only had lavalin D47 yeast on hand and ended up using it. I just read it is recommended for white and rose wines. Do y'all think It will still turn out good with that yeast or should I start over?

Huntingohio: I believe that it is..

It should be fine, just try to keep the temp lower for that yeast--it certainly isn't worth starting over for. I probably would have gone with the montrechet, though--try keeping at least a small variety of yeasts on hand in the future...just in case you decide to start fermenting something unplanned :mug:

D47 works great with blackberries as long as you keep within temp range. The berries tend to be high in malic acid and the D47 does a nice job...in my experience.

If it gets above temp range does the yeast die off? Or is it a case of producing off flavors?

Off flavors/less flavors. D-47 is one of my favorites, and a good choice/happy accident that you used it! Keep it in the low 60's to upper 50's for best fruit flavor.

Happy accident for sure. Okay well the recipe I followed says to ferment blackberries in the primary for 4 days with out any sugar at 70-75 degrees. Then after the 4 days, strain onto 3 lbs of sugar and nutrient and place into secondary with an air lock. (I assume this is what keeps the finished product a bit sweet).

Should I follow the recipe saying 70-75 during primary or should I keep it in the 60degree range throughout entire fermentation process?

always keep fermentation as low as you can, 60 is perfect for d47.

It quickly turning into my house yeast for and higher abv brew[I usually only go 6-8% on wine] It keeps well in washed cultures too

Happy accident for sure. Okay well the recipe I followed says to ferment blackberries in the primary for 4 days with out any sugar at 70-75 degrees. Then after the 4 days, strain onto 3 lbs of sugar and nutrient and place into secondary with an air lock. (I assume this is what keeps the finished product a bit sweet).

Should I follow the recipe saying 70-75 during primary or should I keep it in the 60degree range throughout entire fermentation process?

Ok, 4 days could be enough, though I would go a week. Mix the fruit back into the liquid at least twice a day (called Punching the Cap) so that it stays moist, you get full flavor extraction and does not begin to collect mold.

I agree, you should go with a low fermentation temp. Low 60's if you can get down there.

The extra sugar will not leave sweetness fyi, it will ferment out for more alcohol. You WILL have a bit of sweetness from the nonfermentable sugars (polysaccharides) that the yeast cannot convert, but this will be a very small ammout.

Back