Christmas ale suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
Just starting to sketch a recipe for Christmas ale and am wondering what people think:
(only 7 weeks to christmas so keeping the grain bill light) Looking for an IPA like beer, that doesn't need time to age, has christmas-sy like flavors (pine, orange, juniper, cinnamon, cloves, )

8lb american 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1oz amarillo 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe 30 minutes
1 oz amarillo 30 minutes
1/2 oz crushed juniper berries at 20 minutes
1 oz simcoe at flameout.

Tea made from cinnamon, and cloves at bottling.
Thoughts?

Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of trying to do some sort of hoppy holiday beer. I brewed my Christmas beer a few months ago (and piled about every Christmas-like ingredient you can think of...and then some) and, as expected, it's taken a long time to age and get any kind of cohesiveness of flavors. Hops are the one thing that isn't really evident in the flavor at all. I'm a big fan of IPAs in general, and what man doesn't love a good gin drink, so it sounds like its worth a try to me. How much (and what strength) of the spice tea were you thinking?

My Christmas Ale recipe is basically an October Fest/Marzen with red hots, coriander and light clove. The IPA idea could work better though since you don't have enough time to age most big beers.

How much (and what strength) of the spice tea were you thinking?

I like flavoring with spice tea because I can add as much as I need to get the flavor. I'd probably boil a couple of cloves and crushed cinnamon sticks in a boquet garni bag to make a quart or so then add a cup at a time to the bottling bucket until it's enough. Other thoughts?

My Christmas Ale recipe is basically an October Fest/Marzen with red hots, coriander and light clove. The IPA idea could work better though since you don't have enough time to age most big beers.

I like the red hots idea. When do you add them?

After tweeking and asking around, here's what we're going to do:

8lb american 2 row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb carafoam
1oz Chinook (11 % % alpha) 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe (14 % Alpha) 30 minutes
1 oz Cascade (6.2% % Alpha) 30 minutes (no Amarillo at LHBS)
1/2 oz crushed juniper berries at 20 minutes
1 oz simcoe at flameout.
American ale yeast

Tea made from cinnamon, orange peel/zest, and cloves at bottling. More gin if it needs it.

Should I use 2 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes? I have a ton of cascade in the freezer.

I ran this through an online calculator (http://hopville.com/recipe/1660085) and found that as written it was about 110 IBU's!! So I made a few changes and got it down to 71.

1/2 oz chinook at 60
1/2 oz Cascade at 30
1 oz Simcoe at 30 and
1 oz Simcoe at flame out.

Back