Help building a blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
I am building a new fermenter from 25K foodgrade Jerry can, and I am just about drill the screw cap to fit the airlock and blow off tube.

I have a rubber washer that will fit a standard airlock stork, however the hole looks a little small for a blowoff tube and I would like some help setting one up.

I have seen some posts on the site that say you can dismantle PLASTIC JUNIOR OR HANDY CYLINDRICAL AIRLOCK, and attach a length of tubing to the central stalk of the airlock unit. Is this a good idea or would it be better to try and find another screw that will fit my fermenter and have a larger bore.

If I cannot find a new screw cap with the modified junior airlock work in a pitch?

I'm going to use this fermenter with some heavy gravity beer (O.G. 1.085).

Thanks for the help, and if you need any more information please pop up a post.

I've attached a blow off to the central stalk of a 3 piece airlock with no problems. The one thing that was recommended for this procedure is to cut off the plastic grids at the bottom of the stalk...it's basically just a little plastic 'x' in the part that goes into the grommet. This just keeps things from clogging.

I have also had great results with these electrical glands, You can use a washer to make the gland and the cap air tight and the just push the blow of tube that fits inside the gland in (and also tighten if needed)

I've attached a blow off to the central stalk of a 3 piece airlock with no problems. The one thing that was recommended for this procedure is to cut off the plastic grids at the bottom of the stalk...it's basically just a little plastic 'x' in the part that goes into the grommet. This just keeps things from clogging.

+1. I've done exactly the same thing. Works great and uses standard parts already on hand.

Back