Confused about efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I was brewing an american hopped Saison AG batch wanted a light session beer. After the brew measuring my FG I ended up with 104% which is impossible. So I am confused, my only guess would be that I had more boil-off then calculated for, I didn't add any extra sugars. MY bill is below.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
71% 6 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
12% 1 0 Belgian Biscuit Malt 35 24 ~
12% 1 0 Candi Sugar, Clear 38 0 ~
6% 0 8 Flaked Wheat 34 2 ~

8 8
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.054 measured
(1.041 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.008 / 2.1° Plato
(1.006 to 1.008)
Color
5° SRM / 9° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)
Mash Efficiency
104% measured
(75% used for O.G. estimate)

I made my own candi sugar, 1lb table sugar and a bit of tartar cooked till pale yellow.

I do BIAB with a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness. Did 90mins at 156 and then splarged with 12qts of water at 180 then topped off for 5.5gal pre-boil volume.

I also added the candi sugar at the 15 min mark during a 60min boil.

You need to know your exact batch size after the boil.. you need to take the readings at 60F (depending on your hardware).. you need to measure all your ingredients exactly... any of these variables will make efficiency calculations messed up..

My guess is you used a hot wort sample.

Also... Candi sugar should be rated at 46ppg.... not 38... Id imagine it is 38 because it is diluted when made into candy sugar, however, you used a pound of sugar which resulted in more than a pound of candi sugar (I'd bet you did at least)

You need to know your exact batch size after the boil.. you need to take the readings at 60F (depending on your hardware).. you need to measure all your ingredients exactly... any of these variables will make efficiency calculations messed up..

My guess is you used a hot wort sample.

Took my readings at 70 adjusted for the temp differential and measured with digital scale. I if I ended up with 4.5 gals post boil would it jump that much?

Latest posts

Back