corn sugar during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexisgala

Reaction score
I understand why we add "priming sugar" to the bottling bucket, but what about adding the corn sugar to the brew pot during the boiling process? Is it 100% necessary? I ask because my latest kit didn't come with any corn sugar for use during the boiling period. So I'm confused....

What was the kit?

Depending on what it is, you might not need to add more sugar.

My first kit was just a can of prehopped malt syrup, and it said I could add more sugar or malt if I wanted to but it wasn't necessary. I added 3 pounds of DME just for fun :p

When you bought your first kit, and it came with that 5 ounce package of corn sugar, did you put it in your boil? I ask because that's used for the bottle priming, and it sort of sounds like you might have used it in your boil.

To answer your question, no, corn sugar is not necessary for the boil. In most cases you don't want to use plain table sugar or corn sugar as a major fermentable because of the cidery flavor it can produce.

There are times when you might want to add alcohol content without adding body, and sugar can be used for that purpose, though I don't think corn sugar is preferred.

Sometimes you have to order the corn sugar separately for bottle priming (which may be why it didn't come with your kit).

Sounds like you got one of those "Can and a kilo" kits that have you use a can of extract and a kilo of corn sugar. If your latest kit doesn't have sugar to add during the boil, it's probably because it's a higher quality kit. The ones that have you dump in a bunch of sugar (unless it's to style like some belgian beers) are crapola.

Sounds like you got one of those "Can and a kilo" kits that have you use a can of extract and a kilo of corn sugar.

Ohhhh, sorry, when you said "kit" I was thinking about the kits you get from a LHBS or Northern Brewer. Yeah, some of those cans tell you to add sugar.

What kit do you have now? What's the recipe?

Onipar, My last kit (Blonde Ale) came with both the priming sugar for bottling, and a lb of corn sugar to boil, only said to use 3/4 cup, so I have a lot left. This particular batch is a Honey wheat, so maybe the honey is used in place of the corn sugar??

Simple sugars aren't usually used in the boil for most beers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having sugar for the boil. In fact, not having sugar in the boil is usually very right.

I order these kits from Homebrewers Outpost. This is my 2nd batch ever, the first one came out absolutely delicious (beginners luck!) and I am now hooked on this beer brewing stuff. Thanks for the quick responses too!

Onipar, My last kit (Blonde Ale) came with both the priming sugar for bottling, and a lb of corn sugar to boil, only said to use 3/4 cup, so I have a lot left. This particular batch is a Honey wheat, so maybe the honey is used in place of the corn sugar??

Gotcha. Yeah, I'd say the honey is in place of the corn sugar in this particular recipe. Although, don't expect there to always be some addition of sugar as it's more often than not going to be all dry malt extract and liquid malt extract.

Latest posts

Back