Old Chub Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is supposed to be close, if you want to get closer and have access to beachwood, you could smoke your own malts and substitute them instead of the peated malt. You can use either of the "mcEwans" yeasts for more complex smokiness, wyeast 1728 or white labs wlp028.

SG 1.087 FG 1.022
28 IBU, 16 SRM

Fermentables:
9lb Light DME
1lb British Crystal 50-60L
.5lb Peated Malt
.125lb Roasted Barley
.125lb Belgian Aromatic Malt

Hop Schedule:
2oz East Kent Golding (50min)
1oz Fuggle (10min)
1oz East Kent Golding (0min)

Scottish Ale yeast. (Use a starter. This is a pretty high gravity recipe.)

Steep grains in 1.5 gallons water heated to 165*. Rinse grains until runoff is "clear."
Bring to boil and add 9lbs of light DME. (Use HIGH flame for caramelization.)
Boil for 10min and add bittering hops.
Boil for 40min more and add flavor hops.
Boil for 10min more and add aroma hops at flame out.
Chill. Separate hops from wort and top off to 5 gallons.

Brew on my friend:mug:

COLObrewer - do you say "supposed to be" because you haven't brewed it or because you haven't tried Old Chub to compare it? Just trying to get an idea of how close it is, because Old Chub is one of my favorites and clone info is suprisingly hard to come by.

If anyone gives this a go, can you post results? I'll give it a shot when a keg frees up & post my results too.

COLObrewer - do you say "supposed to be" because you haven't brewed it or because you haven't tried Old Chub to compare it? . . . . .

I haven't tried it, found it on a facebook post from someone trying to approximate McEwans but said it was closer to Old Chub.

It's going to be hard to get Old Chub with extract, It has been said they use 7 different malts (Unknown which yet) and the beachwood smoked malts are unique. I would guess they use some torified wheat and possibly lactose too. Just a guess based on flavor.:mug:

So anybody try this recipe yet? I'm totally obsessed with old chub right now, and would love a recipe that would get me close. That smooth, thick malt flavor is something I'd like to recreate. How the hell do they make that beer so damn good?

Back