How many bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjking77

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch yesterday. I got 51 bottles filled from this 5 gallon batch.

With my first 5 gallon batch I filled 48 bottles.

How many bottles are you filling??

I want to know if I am pretty much the same as the rest of you or if I am losing a lot during the process.

That is abotu right for an approximate 5 gallon batch. Very seldom does someone have their homebrew process jammed up so tight that they can peg exactly 5 gallons every time, much less fill every bottle exactly the same.

A 5 gallon carboy to the brim gives me 53 bottles. I do 5.5 gallon brews, and lately my efficiency has given me a good 5.5 gallons in the primary, enough that I can completely fill the secondary, sometimes with a cup or two left over.

approximately 21-23 bottles for my "half batch" brewing. I brew smaller batches right now and I usually test approximately 6oz's at a time at least twice during the brewing so thusly I am down a brew when I bottle. I started adding 12oz more of water though when I do brew to compensate for this.....OG doesn't register a whole lot with so little of an amount...

I average 30 - 12oz bottles and a dozen 22oz bottles per batch. Yes, I do both sizes per batch. 12 oz-ers to give away, taste testing, and quick fixes with 22oz-ers for when I want to sit and enjoy.

yup 42-50 when I bottle normally. can never really predict. Just make sure you have plenty of bottles! :)

It actually can become a bad habit. I have been saving bottles for months and months. I have more bottles than I'll ever need, but too many bottles is never a bad thing! Friends need some, beer club members need some...you get the idea ;)

cheers,

I got less than 50 on my last batch, exactly 50 this time. (Of course I kept having issues with my bottling wand leaking the first time).

I got 38 out of my first batch (I screwed that one up)
and I got 36 x 12oz + 2.0L out of batch 2.
Batch 3 in a few weeks I'll know.

I think its going to vary quite a bit.

rcbrew said:
I average 30 - 12oz bottles and a dozen 22oz bottles per batch. Yes, I do both sizes per batch. 12 oz-ers to give away, taste testing, and quick fixes with 22oz-ers for when I want to sit and enjoy.

i bottle the same way, just tonight as a matter of fact. same reason. a 22 seems to be just right for a sit down and drink it up kind of evening and the tall pilsener glass looks cool with the foamy head dripping over the side slightly... oh... back to reality! 30 12's and a dozen 22's seems to be the average.

Back