IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctoungette

Reaction score
I have been thinking of doing a complex IPA for a while and wanted to know peoples opinion before I made it.

6 gallon batch
7.5 gallon boil
75% efficiency

Marris Otter-2 row 8#
Rahr Pale Ale Malt 6 #
Victory 1.5#
Caracrystal Wheat 1#
Crystal 40 .5#

4oz of Columbus
3oz of Citra

1oz of Columbus for bittering and the rest spread out durring flavor and aroma.

I plan on mashing kinda low around 150-151.

I'm trying to mix these together in my head and I'm having trouble. Regardless, I'm sure it'd turn out great.. I just can't really "picture" what it will taste like in the end. Hmm. Looks like too much victory.. maybe a little too much wheat and maybe add a tiny bit more crystal 40? Hmm. I honestly can't say, though- not to mention I'm not familiar with Citra yet haha. I'm interested in hearing how this turns out if you go through with it.

this looks good except I would scale back the Victory...
I've read that most folks consider Victory, biscuit, and aromatic
all malts that should be used lightly... I think the wheat won't be a problem, whether it's .5, .75, or 1lb... the more you use, the rockier the head, no?

I've never used caracrystal wheat - but if it adds sweetness then I wouldn't up the ante with other caramel malts - keep the 40 as is

that's just IMO... good luck with it - Spring and IPA fever can't come soon enough!

I just brewed the DIPA from the new Everything Homebrew book and it smells really good - that one is:
8 lbs maris otter, 7.75 pale 2 row, .50 crystal 55, .50 wheat, .25 munich, .10 biscuit
for 1.083 and 8.2 ABV

the hop schedule is too much to type right now - but it's basically cascade, simcoe, and centennial to get you to 100+ IBUs

Are you sure you want to brew a Citra IPA? That hop is not one you want to use on a whole 5-gallon batch unless you have tasted it before - people either tend to love it or hate it.

As for the grain bill, I'd get rid of the Rahr Malt and the Victory and just use all Maris Otter (or another British Pale malt). I haven't used CaraCrystal before, so I can't comment on that, but I'd maybe back off on it just a bit and boost the C-40 instead (maybe 0.75 lbs of each).

Back