My ferm. chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
EDIT 8/6/09

OK I've finished my ferm. chamber!!!

Here are a bunch more, pics and info and pricing, scroll down for pics are at bottom..
http://ellude.com/ferm.htm
I'd like to put a little computer fan in there and have it kick on when the johnson controller kicks the fridge on.. any body done that? I'm no electrical person.. but not afraid to try if some could give me the steps.

fermchamber.jpg

I redid my kitchen, so I'm going to use one of the old base cabinets and build a fermentation chamber in the garage. Inside dim's are approx. are 20Wx22Dx30H, with a single door bottom/single drawer top config. Depending on height needed, I may keep drawer in there and just insulate below that, otherwise, I'll take out the drawer and just panel off that hole.

I plan to mount my cooling source on one of the sides of this cab. I'll cut the hole and slide it in there. I haven't decided on a compact fridge or a small window unit..
Anybody with pro's and con's of both?

I'm in houston, so garage temps are easily triple digits in summer, and it probably never gets too cold.. I'd say garage ambient is probably 50's on houston's coldest day.. so I don't think I'll need any type of heating.

Can't wait to get started.. any suggestions on type and thickness of insulating materials? I know I can easily fit 3 6 gal. vessels in there, maybe 4..

I redid my kitchen, so I'm going to use one of the old base cabinets and build a fermentation chamber in the garage. Inside dim's are approx. are 20Wx22Dx30H, with a single door bottom/single drawer top config. Depending on height needed, I may keep drawer in there and just insulate below that, otherwise, I'll take out the drawer and just panel off that hole.

I plan to mount my cooling source on one of the sides of this cab. I'll cut the hole and slide it in there. I haven't decided on a compact fridge or a small window unit..
Anybody with pro's and con's of both?

I'm in houston, so garage temps are easily triple digits in summer, and it probably never gets too cold.. I'd say garage ambient is probably 50's on houston's coldest day.. so I don't think I'll need any type of heating.

Can't wait to get started.. any suggestions on type and thickness of insulating materials? I know I can easily fit 3 6 gal. vessels in there, maybe 4..

Are you sure about those dimensions? 20Wx20D... are you really going to be able to fit 3 fermenters in there.. that seems kind of small, unless you are using cornys.

As far as insulation, I'd use the 2" ridgid foam insulation. I'd also make sure that you are able to get a full fermenter in and out of the door, it seems like it might be a PIA.

well i forgot to measure last night.. but we have 5 gal. spring water bottles here at work (like a better bottle), it's about 9" in diameter. So 4 of those would fit.

If I can't fit a pattern of 2X2, then I was figuring a triangle pattern (since they are circles).. I'm pretty sure I can get 3.

Anybody have an ale pale handy and can measure the diameter?

Thanks for tip.. I was gonna start this weekend, I'll make sure and get my ferm. chambers and put them in and out and make sure it's not to difficult.

The simplest way to add a small fan is to buy 120 volt muffin fans. They are more expensive than 12 volts fans, but by the time you add in the power supply, they are cheaper.

I use them in my conditioning cabinet. What I did was wire my Ranco with a power strip, instead of an extension cord. When the kegerator is running, the fans are on.

Back