Suggestions for my next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aardvark

Reaction score
I have a blond ale that is just finishing up in primary and I'm about to rack it. I'd like to simply pour the wort for my next beer onto the yeast cake from the blond.

Any suggestions for types/recipes?

I'd like something that:
will be ready quickly (I'm getting a bit of a late start for a camping trip)
will be a good warm weather session beer
will do well force carbonated

Your suggestions will be most appreciated (and rewarded with beer.)

Sounds interesting...I was also thinking about brewing a mild.

Any reason why putting a mild over the yeast cake from a Blond would be a problem?

Well, my thoughts are that it would change the profile a bit, but I do not believe that it would be a bad thing...

I'd prolly go for it!

:rockin:

How about a cream ale or the like? Do you have the ability to mash? If so, Cream of 3 Crops would be a good one to do, fits the yeast cake, wouldn't take "that" long to ferment, and should like force carbed.

Cream ale...I like that idea. I'm going to look at recipes now. Any favorites?

6lbs 8oz US 2 row
1lb 4oz flaked maize
12oz flaked rice
1oz liberty @ 60

I use liberty, but any number of hops are good here: Fuggle, Willamette, Mt. Hood, Crystal, EKG, pretty much anything not too citrusy

I make it with wlp029 Kolsch yeast, but it should be good with Cal Ale

Ok, I messed around with the recipe a bit to come up with something I feel ok about as a partial mash. I also decreased the alcohol a little since I want a lower alcohol beer. I plan on using the texas two step method with my extract addition since many of my beers have come out a little darker than I'd prefer. I think this will also raise the IBU a bit and get it closer to the 14-15 range.

I was also thinking about using BierMuncher's suggestion in his Cream of Three Crops recipe and going with a 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil.

Thoughts?

Type: Partial mash
Size: 5 gallons
Color: 4 HCU (~4 SRM)
Bitterness: 11 IBU
OG: 1.039
FG: 1.100
Alcohol: 3.78
Grain:
1 lb. 0 oz. American 2-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
12 oz. Flaked rice

SG 1.079 2.5 gallons

3 lb. 0 oz. Light malt extract
Hops: 1 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 60 min.)

oh, and my fermentation temps have been around 72-72...any reason to be concerned about a cream ale on Cal Ale yeast?

If you have the ability to mash a larger quantity, I'd go for it. The Cream of 3 Crops is a great intro to all grain and is quite easy and the results will convert a lot of non-believers (i.e. those who say "if it ain't Bud, it ain't beer") to homebrew. All you'd really need to do is up the qty of 2-row.

Your recipe is just fine. The recipe is very adaptable. And, if you're like me and can't find 12 oz of minute rice, go for what you can find. Wally World has it in 14 oz boxes here so that's what I use. And quick grits are just a few pennies more than traditional grits and about 1/3 the price of instant grits so, again, that's what I use. I just cook them to the package instructions before mashing and it works out great.

My own recipe is for a 3 gallon batch and I use 4 lbs of Pilsner, 8 oz of Carapils, 1 lb of grits, 14 oz of minute rice, Fuggle hops, and US-05 yeast. If I were making 5 gallons, I'd add about 2.5 more lb of Pilsner, another half box of minute rice, and another half lb of instant grits.

Hope that helps! :D

oops...fg should be 1.010.

one more question...How much water can I expect the grains to absorb? How much water should I use for the mash and sparge if I want to boil 2.5 gallons?

ok, so I just brewed. OG was only 1.030. Bummer. I guess I got poor effeciency with the grains. Or could it be something else?

Back