Residual CO2 above 80°?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevery

Reaction score
Most calcs/charts for residual CO2 only go up to 80° (including iBrewmaster) but I brewed a saison that I warmed to 91° in order to get it funky and prevent it from stalling. How do I calculate the residual CO2? I can't even find the formula to determine residual CO2.

I would like 2.2vols for 5gals, primed with dextrose. I can assume that it wouldn't make too much of a difference but I also don't want to over-carb because it might make it difficult to quaff. (9.5%ABV, 1.001FG beers should always be quaffable, lol)

Thanks for you help! :)

Most calcs/charts for residual CO2 only go up to 80° (including iBrewmaster) but I brewed a saison that I warmed to 91° in order to get it funky and prevent it from stalling. How do I calculate the residual CO2? I can't even find the formula to determine residual CO2.

I would like 2.2vols for 5gals, primed with dextrose. I can assume that it wouldn't make too much of a difference but I also don't want to over-carb because it might make it difficult to quaff. (9.5%ABV, 1.001FG beers should always be quaffable, lol)

Thanks for you help! :)

first, those calculators that try to "guestimate" residual co2 should be taken very lightly to begin with. At above, oh, 65 degrees or so, the amount of residual co2 is negligible and should just be ignored. A 2.2 volume saison seems like it would be undercarbed to me. I'd use no less than 5 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons of finished beer (or, 1 ounce per gallon). Saisons are usually very spritzy, to the point of being gushers sometimes, but a lower carb level is fine to not have gushers or bottle bombs!

A lot of the priming calculators will allow you to input any temperature. Here's one-http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

As Yooper mentioned, it's somewhat of a guess. How much residual CO2 is in solution will depend on the SG of the beer, and some CO2 will inevitably be lost when the beer is disturbed getting it into the bottling bucket and then into the bottles.

FWIW here's a chart that shows the CO2 retention of an average gravity beer.

http://***********/images/stories/inside/co2contentchart.jpg

It's technically a Saison-IPA so i don't want the bitterness being perceptively rediculously bitter. I'm only six batches deep and almost all of my brews have been hard to drink cause the high carbonation makes me feel bloated or accentuates the bitter. I did an apricot-rose wheat where the spritzy-ness almost seems to dry out the mouthfeel and made it seem extremely bitter. It's almost like the carbonation subdues the malt and sweet. It reminds me of seltzer water, where it's dry or almost alkaline tasting, except the bitterness is accented.

That's good info and thanks for the link Juan. Thanks guys! (or guy and gal ;) )

Back