Need a burner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
I just used my new 7.5 gal. Kettle about a month ago and I didn't get a very good boil. So because and that and I'm gonna be upgrading to all grain I wanna get a propane burner. I'm working with a pretty small budget $50-$100 so if anyone could
recommend a good, inexpensive burner or is in the Monmouth County, NJ area and has one to sell it'd be great. Thanks.

This time of year turkey fryers are usually on sale I got mine off Craigslist never used for 35 bucks yeah its kinda cheap but I can boil 8 gallons no problem so with it imho

I use a bayou sq14 I got from amazon this time last year. Works great for my 5gal batches and didn't use much propane

I just went to AG and boiled my first batch last weekend. I bought a Bayou Classic burner from Walmart online. I paid $49 for it. I did a lot of research and it was the best bang for the buck. I converted a 15.5 gallon sankey keg into a kettle and boiled a 5 gallon batch no problem. I have the 50,000 BTU model. Just make sure you turn it up to full flame. I was at a full boil in about 10 minutes.

I am new to HB Talk but have been brewing for some time now. I used to use the standard Wal-Mart turkey fryer with a 10 gal kettle. Recently my brother got me a Hurricane burner from Midwest Brewing in Minnesota for my birthday. This thing is unreal. It puts out 60,000 BTU's with a pressure of about 1 psi. it is so quiet, when I ran out of gas I didn't realize it till the temp quit rising. It runs $99 but is well worth it. There are some Bayou Classic models that have the same cast iron burner in the stand as the Hurricane burner. If you can get one for $49 get it and you won't be disappointed. These things put out so much heat that you really have to watch out or you'll boil over. One last note.....the regulator is set at a constant psi....you control the amount of heat or BTU's with a simple 1/4 turn ball valve that comes with it.....happy brewing!

I have the Bayou SP10 mentioned above and I can maintain a rolling boil on 8+ gallons of wort with the regulator only a 1/4 turn open... works very well.

Back