This video is on Whole Food's website

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have never made a post on a youtube video, but I couldn't resist with this one.

And a 1 gallon batch yields,what,a 6'r? And they were drinking out of the bottles too. Looked good in the glass,though. I can see where a closet size kitchen could be a pain. But as long as they're enjoyin it,more power to them.

Freakin hipsters.

Why the hate on Hipsters? I've seen those kits at Whole Foods and was curious myself about them. Now I see exactly where they came from. Those guys are just making homebrewing more accesible to the public which is good for all of us...

Give them props for at least makin a living off of beer. Although Mr Beer kinda beat them to the small, kitchen size batch. Either way, I'd do the chick.

What the **** is the problem? The brooklyn brew kits have been available for several years now, and Whole foods in NY has been at the forefront of homebrewing because evidently it is one of the few places in Manhattan where folks can get brewing supplies, even for 5 gallon batches. So that's bad in your mind?

A ton of new all grain brewers have come on here because of the Brooklyn kits. That means more folks making beer. We have a couple very active 1 gallon brewing threads because of those kits....For people living in small spaces especially in closet apartments like most folks there do, at least it allows them to make beer.

So again, what the hell is the problem with it?

Obviously this threatens your brewing "ego" in some way for you to have an issue with ANYONE doing something beer positive in this hobby...so why?

I can never figure out why some brewers need to bash fellow brewers, whether it's Mr beer brewers, or craigtube watchers or extract brewers or whatever, we're all part of the same fraternity. We don't need to be EACs about this ****.

What the **** is the problem? The brooklyn brew kits have been available for several years now, and Whole foods in NY has been at the forefront of homebrewing because evidently it is one of the few places in Manhattan where folks can get brewing supplies, even for 5 gallon batches. So that's bad in your mind?

A ton of new all grain brewers have come on here because of the Brooklyn kits. That means more folks making beer. We have a couple very active 1 gallon brewing threads because of those kits....For people living in small spaces especially in closet apartments like most folks there do, at least it allows them to make beer.

Obviously this threatens your brewing "ego" in some way for you to have an issue with ANYONE doing something beer positive in this hobby...so why?

I can never figure out why some brewers need to bash fellow brewers, whether it's Mr beer brewers, or craigtube watchers or extract brewers or whatever, we're all part of the same fraternity. We don't need to be EACs about this ****.

Boom goes the dynamite. You done pissed off Revvy. That's hard to do.

I've got no problem with WF, in fact they have become my new LHBS, beating out the competition by almost $20 on any sack of grain. This video just puts a charming face on one of their products. How could it possibly be viewed as offensive?

Whoa there guys. I just thought it was interesting that Whole Foods was promoting homebrewing. I never said it was bad, and I didn't mean to hate on anybody. The 'hipster' comment was simply a comment on the fact that I think the hipster fad is funny. Sorry about the confusion, I should have either left that off or added more explanation as to why I was posting the video.

Again, sorry and I withdraw the 'hipster' comment.

Honestly Rev, I really didn't mean anything by the hipster comment. After re-reading my post, I see how you drew those conclusions, but it wasn't meant that way at all. It was definitely tongue-in-cheek. Believe me, this in no way threatens my ego. Really sorry!

Whole Foods Oklahoma doesn't stock anything homebrew. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

I dunno if it has to do with the 3.2 cap or not. We do have LHBS that do okay.

I was at the local WF's yesterday. No HB stuff at their store here, but it is in KS. Maybe if they opened one on the MO side (KC area) there would be some. Either way I like WF for the most part and am glad to live close to one.

TheZymurgist said:
BTW, what's EACs?

HahahahHa you're on your own for this one. Search. After a couple of years, with any luck, you'll find it :p

Dont worry about revvy. He gets work up sometimes! ;) i think we all agree that anything that promotes homebrewing is good for all of us.

Northern Brewer is also putting out one gallon kits.

One gallon will produce 10-11 bottles. I usually get 10 and a half so the half goes straight down my gullet. I have never used one of those brooklyn kits. I use my AG stove top set up and those five liter wine jugs as fermenters. Not the most efficient way to brew but great for experimental batches and recipe design.

My only problem with the video was the opening where they said beer is the oldest beverage ever made by man. That and the actual hipsterishness, yes I just made that word up, of the video itself but not the content too much.

My only problem with the video was the opening where they said beer is the oldest beverage ever made by man. That and the actual hipsterishness, yes I just made that word up, of the video itself but not the content too much.

It's arguable, but there is some good evidence out there that says beer is second only to mead as the oldest FERMENTED beverage.

I wish the whole foods around here sold homebrew supplies. I was impressed with the selection of stuff in the Santa Rosa one. Obviously there are homebrew shops, and I like them and use them, but I like having more alternatives.

I have brewed plenty of small batches...I did 3/4 gallon batches (basically a 6 pack) several times for highly experimental stuff, and it is certainly more convenient in a lot of ways. The only hard part IMO is that getting the hopping rates correct for such a small batch can be rather tricky and difficult to control. It's better to use low-alpha hops for bittering and leave the high alpha stuff for aroma & flavor.

You all are just jealous that his SWMBO actually helps with the brews. But you shouldn't trust someone who brews with a tie on.......

Also, video needs more 'Instagram' filters.

You all are just jealous that his SWMBO actually helps with the brews. But you shouldn't trust someone who brews with a tie on.......

Also, video needs more 'Instagram' filters.

Ok, see that's what I was going for. :cross:

Whole Foods in Santa Rosa, CA is stocking a lot of different Brewers Best kits.. carboys.. grains for about $1.25/lb as well as bulk, good variety of bagged pellet and whole hops and different liquid and dry yeasts.. just a nice compact LHBS and a GREAT tap room.. The tap room host is is a pro-am brewer.

HbgBill said:
Whole Foods in Santa Rosa, CA is stocking a lot of different Brewers Best kits.. carboys.. grains for about $1.25/lb as well as bulk, good variety of bagged pellet and whole hops and different liquid and dry yeasts.. just a nice compact LHBS and a GREAT tap room.. The tap room host is is a pro-am brewer.

Bill, they completely stole me from Beverage People. Those guys are going to have to step up their game. I feel bad, but they want 50 dollars for a bag of 2-row and WF can cut it for $36. Along with all the other things they carry, it's a hard call driving down to BP. That and their new nicer but even more remote location has me a little worried for those folks.

They seem to be doing quite well.. especially during grape harvest time.. place is buzzin. They do have a lot of stuff that WF doesn't carry.. especially for the wine and cheese folks. They do carry a broader selection of some things too. They are pricy is my only gripe.. but, we all have a choice. :)

I'll have to check out my local whole foods, although I am pretty sure that they don't have any of this stuff. The hard part is in my town you have to get there before 11 am to avoid having your eyes water in reaction to the strong scent of patchouli oil and body odor favored by many of the patrons.

What's wrong with that? I'm getting to like the spiciness of that scent. Maybe I'm turning into one of "them" now that I frequent the store so much.... :rockin:

All I ask is stick to one, patchouli or body odor, not both. Besides that the only problem I've had there was getting my hand tangled in a chick's underarm hair as we cross-reached for some produce.

Back