Anyone been to Europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alembician

Reaction score
I'm studying in Germany starting next week, for 8 weeks and I need some tips on where to go (beer-wise). I want to hit every brewery that I can, or at least the best. If you've been or know of any great breweries, let me know. I have a train pass that gets me anywhere in Europe. We are planning excursions to The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, & Austria. I'm going to school in Heidelberg though. So please suggest away. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone says.
Bobby

I'm interested to hear as well, i'm making a kamikaze trip to germany on the 4th-8th of june. I got a 4 day german rail pass. Bamburg, Koln, and Munchen are the itinerary so far.

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been almost everywhere, but to answer your question could take me years to reply to.

I lived in Augsburg and Bamberg. Augsburg is 40 miles from Munich. Definitely hit the 6 breweries there as well as the Hofbrauhuas (just to say you've been there). There are 9 breweries in Bamberg. My favorites were Maisal and Fassla. There is another brewery, Special, right across the street from the Fassla, Greifenklau (Griffin's Claw) up the hill toward the castle.

Drive south 11 miles on the autobahn and get off at the Buttenheim exit. There you'll find St Georgenbrau and Lowenbau (great Kellerbier) breweries right next door to each other. As you are looking at the SG front door look left down the road about 150 mters and you'll find Levi Strauss' home. There are self-guided tours with earpieces. Both breweries also have beer gardens on the hill outside of town.

There's the Barstube in Nurnberg where the brewery is downstaris.

Lucky! I love Heidelberg. Was there for a week a number of years ago. Off of the main drag where all of the artists and performers hang out at night there was a little alley. In that alley I noticed a sign with a mug and a picture of a stag on it. Curiosity got the best of myself and a friend so we ventured down the alley and into an alcove that opened into a small courtyard where we saw the sign again at the top of some stairs. Went in there and it was the coolest little pub ever! The tables were trees cut in half lenthwise to creat a picknic table looking thing and so were the benchs. There was this dude there playing a lute as well.

Very fun time in that town, and the college chicks>.......................good times

I studied in Cologne(Koln) for a summer in college 3 years ago, and traveled every weekend. Cologne is a great city, obviously try the Kolsch. There's a great bar right by the Kolner Dom(cathedral) that's very traditional. Its on the main square, when you're facing the front of the cathedral its on your right. Many others though, and breweries. Cologne was the only place I visited actual breweries though. Dom Kolsch, and Gaffel Kolsch breweries and a couple others. Visit the cathedral as well, there's not that much tourist wise to Cologne so its not at the top of people's list of cities to visit in Germany, but: "Cologne Cathedral is the church with the largest facade (the west or main facade with the twin towers) and remains the second-tallest Gothic structure in the world; only the steeple of the Ulm Cathedral is higher." - wikipedia. Good Turkish food too, large minority in Cologne. That summer was one of the best times of my life. Belgium is great; Brussels, Bruges(really cool). Luxembourg is interesting, France, Switz, etc. are all great. No help on other breweries though. If this is your first time though, I hope you're planning on seeing other things besides breweries as well. My 2 cents.

landhoney said:
...only the steeple of the Ulm Cathedral is higher...
I've been to the top there. Spectacular view. I was there during "Fischerstecken". It's a fest commemorating the battle between the people of Ulm and New (new) Ulm. They joust on the river trying to knock each other into the river from gondolas.

Bamberg has a similar fest at the end of August.

Wow, I was in a brew house in a city right near Heidelberg today. Check out my post in this forum. "Hands down, best hefe ever" I mention the city there.

Also, I recommend hitting up Amsterdam if you go to the netherlands. They have some amazing beer gardens and some excellent culture. Rent a bike and camp out at the place on the Eastern side, can't remember the name, but a great place. My wife and I are heading back there soon.

Switzerland, hit up Lake Lucerne. Not great beer there, but amazing place for camping and breathtaking scenery. Crystal clear lake and huge mountains surrounding. Excellent swimming.

I worked in Heidelberg for a year myself and lived in Germany for 5 years. Heidelberg is a great city and is the HQ for BestMalz.

BestMalzHQ.jpg

That particular area is more known for its wines rather than beers. You are near the Pfalz, so be sure to head out for some wine fests in the summer. There are loads every weekend. Also, Heidelberg is the south end of Die Bergstrasse. Every May 1st there is a 20K hike in the wine country from Heppenheim to Zwingenberg and by the end you are feeling pretty good.

There are still loads of beers to drink there, but the area is a wine area. For some great beers, take the ICE (bullet train) to Munich.

Iceland, France, Ireland, Spain, and Sicily also did a stint down in El Salvador!.

spent 6 months in iceland (not really europe) they have a beer local beer there called Thule. dont know what it is or anything lol i just know i would get 6packs of 16 ozers for cheap on base, was in france for 5 days did alot of drinking there. Also at the age of 20 i saw Normandy and Omaha Beach's actually stood on Normandy Beach. Was just passing threw Shannon, Ireland did get to drink some of the local brew they have some watered down horse piss called Guinesse:D (compared to a US Natty light that is!) LOL Spain was just passing threw no time to drink there.

and Sicily i was working so much never had time to drink lol. was only there for 2 months then i went to El Salvador for the remainder 4 months the have a couple local beers there, Bahia (highly recommed to stay away from it) and Pilsner. neither where that great but it was either Pilsner or Corona and after 2 months of straight coronas at 18$ a 6pack those Pilsners started tasting pretty good at 2$ a beer lol. oh yeah ive been to Canada and Mexico to :D

*for those that must know im a world traveler extrodonaire. My job takes me to far off exotic ports of call all over the world along with the challenge and adventure!. if any one is intrested visit this link. www.navy.com :D LOL

homebrewer_99 said:
There are 9 breweries in Bamberg. My favorites were Maisal and Fassla. There is another brewery, Special, right across the street from the Fassla, Greifenklau (Griffin's Claw) up the hill toward the castle.

So how truly delicious the Rauchbier? What should I eat with it? Truth be told, this is why I'm going to Germany, just to drink Racuhbier(and well all the other beers i can get a grasp on.) Also, I read in a NYT article that the Fassla brewery actually has inexpensive hotel rooms, that could be trouble.

The Drizzle said:
So how truly delicious the Rauchbier? What should I eat with it? Truth be told, this is why I'm going to Germany, just to drink Racuhbier(and well all the other beers i can get a grasp on.) Also, I read in a NYT article that the Fassla brewery actually has inexpensive hotel rooms, that could be trouble.

Dude, it is freaking amazing! Yeah, I'd move there if I could! aside from being a beautiful place, the beer is to die for....

The Drizzle said:
"Aechte Rauchbier"...or "genuine Smoked Beer"...is, well, the truth be known, IMO, terrible the first half glass. Once you get past that you can drink it all day!

Get a wurstplatte. It's assorted sausages. Nothing goes better with the flavor.

Save weizens for schnitzels.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
"Aechte Rauchbier"...or "genuine Smoked Beer"...is, well, the truth be known, IMO, terrible the first half glass. Once you get past that you can drink it all day!

Get a wurstplatte. It's assorted sausages. Nothing goes better with the flavor.

Save weizens for schnitzels.:D

Sausages were implied, anything i shouldn't miss in Munich? i only have 5 days off from work, 1 to get there, 3 in country, 1 to get back.

The Drizzle said:
Sausages were implied, anything i shouldn't miss in Munich? i only have 5 days off from work, 1 to get there, 3 in country, 1 to get back.
The Glockenspiel at Marionplatz goes off at 11:00, there are a few gasthauses in the pedestrian zone, then off to the Hofbrauhaus. Lots of people don't know that is where Hitler used to frequent as he was building up his Brown Shirt Army and the Biergarten Putsch (riots). Spaten/Franziskaner/Paulaner/Augustiner breweries...Dachau Concentration Camp is only 13 miles outside the city on the northwest (been there so many times playing tour guide...)

If the weather is nice check out the Chinese pagoda/beer garden at that Englisher Garten.

You can barely see the gold statue on the pillar next to the two towers of Frauenkirche (Lady's Church), but it supposedly has a piece of the True Cross in it.

P8010331-0.jpg

P8010319-11.jpg

P8010340-1.jpg

we spent two weeks (over the Holidays) in and around Vienna.

do a trip to Prague (Praha), Czech Republic and have the Pilsner Urquell fresh from a keg. have several!!

coyote said:
...do a trip to Prague (Praha), Czech Republic and have the Pilsner Urquell fresh from a keg...
I uysed to live only a couple hours drive from Praha. I also spent a couple days in Ceske Budejovice (Budweis in German). My first time there was in '91. My last time, in '2004, I drank Budvar for $0.53 a half liter!

Now I have my own Czech Budvar (Billvar) kegged...and in the fridge getting cold so I can gass it tomorrow...for next weekend!

homebrewer 99,

I tried Budvar in Praha (from a can) and have to say, it didn't especially impress me. not sure why, as I was looking forward to it. it had a tinny, "thin" taste, so maybe it had been sitting around too long?

the Pilsner Urquell fresh from a tap in one of the restaurants was so smooth, it was unbelieveable! I drank the first half litre in about two minutes and ordered another. I had to slow myself down because I wanted to enjoy it.

If I hadn't been there with my wife and daughter, I would have stayed right there all night (and probably ended up causing an international incident).

Charles Bridge and Praha Castle were AWESOME!

coyote said:
homebrewer 99,

I tried Budvar in Praha (from a can) and have to say, it didn't especially impress me. not sure why, as I was looking forward to it. it had a tinny, "thin" taste, so maybe it had been sitting around too long?

the Pilsner Urquell fresh from a tap in one of the restaurants was so smooth, it was unbelieveable! I drank the first half litre in about two minutes and ordered another. I had to slow myself down because I wanted to enjoy it.

If I hadn't been there with my wife and daughter, I would have stayed right there all night (and probably ended up causing an international incident).

Charles Bridge and Praha Castle were AWESOME!
PU...always tasted too bitter to me so the initials stuck...

Did you catch the changing of the guard and walk down the hill next to the wall where the vendors are? Such an interesting place. Did you tour the castle grounds/church, etc.?

missed the changing of the guards, and didn't get inside the castle, but we did tour the outside of the church, the castle grounds and the vendor areas, etc.

Praha was one of my favorite places that we saw while there.

I'd like to give Budvar another try someday. Something tells me I either didn't get the real deal, or it was abused before I got to it.

coyote said:
missed the changing of the guards, and didn't get inside the castle, but we did tour the outside of the church, the castle grounds and the vendor areas, etc.

Praha was one of my favorite places that we saw while there.

I'd like to give Budvar another try someday. Something tells me I either didn't get the real deal, or it was abused before I got to it.
I think your Budvar experience was a bad one...one good tip...NEVER drink beer from a can. Excepting 5 liter mini-kegs I haven't drunk beer from a can since 1975. Always glass bottles or draft. Same goes for drinking from plastic cups. It's a beer sin...glass only. I know...I'm spoiled.;)

I'm spoiled too, now.

In fact, it was my experiences of drinking fresh European beer that clinched my homebrewing aspirations. can't stand the corn/rice laden mass produced stuff anymore.

I have yet to brew even one batch, but it won't be long! I have a final equipment order in, and should receive it soon.

wish me luck!

If you happen to get up north / northeast in your German travels go to Neuzelle - it's on the the German / Poland border and has an active brewery at the Kloster Neuzelle Monastery dating back to the 1500's. Also an incredible church and abbey to visit. We took a day trip there from Berlin. Well worth the visit.

Latest posts

Back