PSA: Clean the lid cut before doing any more work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbognerks

Reaction score
So I had a fun night last night. Got to take a trip to the ER and get 16 stitches put in. Literally a second before I did this, I said to myself, "Wait for Geoff to come by tomorrow and finish the keggle then." But no, the night was young and I wanted to get it done.

I was pulling the dimple tool through on the bottom of the keg when the socket slipped off the bolt. Not that the socket or bolt were rounded or anything. I was just being a ******* and reaching too far trying to do it by myself.

It could have been worse. I nicked the muscle, but hit no tendons or anything major. Still have full mobility and all that.

img_0475.jpg

Yikes! Consider yourself very lucky. I would stay away from glass carboys entirely if I were you.

I shoulda got a shot of it before stitches. It was gaping open about an inch or maybe a little more. Could see all the fatty tissue. When the nurse was cleaning it out I could see the muscle. Pretty gnarly indeed.

Wow!

Although mine is deburred and sanded down I still think it could cut and i've often thought of putting some sort of grommet on there. We'll see.

TV show Dual Survival the guy cut himself on purpose and then poured black powder on it and set it on fire to Cauterize the wound. Ouch, that guy has some balls. Could have save you a trip to the ER.

I did a mini version of what you did cleaning my kegs, no stitches, just some bandages at home and a ton of cursing my stupidity.

Well I'll remember that if it happens again when we are in nuclear fallout and the world is in shambles. Still must make beer!

Look at the bright side, now you're up to date on your tetanus shot.

I did a similar thing, no stitches or cool scar though. I ended up cleaning the cut up with an angle grinder but it was still a little rough. What made it really nice was some wet sanding with really fine paper. Now you couldn't cut yourself if you tried.

Thanks for the tip on the wet sanding. Didn't think to do that even on my other completed kegs. Will give it a go.

damn, looks brutal.

at least you have a name for your next brew... 16 Stitches (whatever)... sounds cool to me at least.

That wasn't from a silly mistake on your part. It is a knife wound received when protecting a young lady and her infant child from the clutches of a ne'er do well trying to steal her grocery money...

At least that is what I tell people about my appendectomy scar...

Haha, 16 stitches is a cool idea. However, I was thinking of making a brew incorporating the theme of my brewery name as it's aviation related. I was tossing around Bloody Baron Red Ale.

Man, I had just cut the top off a keg about an hour before I saw this Saturday. I was looking at my slightly jagged cut thinking "as long as I am careful...." now I have dome grinding and sanding to do. My wife would kill me if my hobby cost us a copay!

I ended up cleaning the cut up with an angle grinder but it was still a little rough. What made it really nice was some wet sanding with really fine paper.

Haha, was thinking "wow, manly", then I realized you were talking about the cut in the keg, not a cut FROM the keg.

That wasn't from a silly mistake on your part. It is a knife wound received when protecting a young lady and her infant child from the clutches of a ne'er do well trying to steal her grocery money...

At least that is what I tell people about my appendectomy scar...

I usually go for the bear attack story.

Man, I had just cut the top off a keg about an hour before I saw this Saturday. I was looking at my slightly jagged cut thinking "as long as I am careful...." now I have dome grinding and sanding to do. My wife would kill me if my hobby cost us a copay!

All joking aside, you can die from a cut like that if you hit an artery. Severed tendons or nerve damage would be no fun either.

That definitely makes me wary of cutting kegs anytime soon... Which has been planned for awhile now. I am now (after seeing this) considering using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Spring-Opening-Protection-Material/dp/B002SJS2PQ

around the openings of the keggles. I feel it would provide more protection to arms and fingers than just grinding the edge down.

+1 on ridiculous scar story though ("Saving a drowning baby from being trapped under a flipped car, and the broken glass got you" is my vote)

Last edited by a moderator:
My bother in law is a butcher and just opened his own shop a year ago. He'd never really cut himself very good until one day he was washing some dishes and a platter broke and cut his wrist. That's not really a cool story either. All the knife play and a dish gets him.

When his wrist was all bandaged up, we just told people he was on suicide watch. That'll teach him not to make up a better story first.

One major problem here: what's with the palm trees on the shower curtuin? You're in kansas.

This is a good PSA. I've got some sharp spots on my keggle rims. I'm getting out there and smoothing them this wkend.

Glad you didn't do any perm damage. Should look pretty cool in the end.

That definitely makes me wary of cutting kegs anytime soon... Which has been planned for awhile now. I am now (after seeing this) considering using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Spring-Opening-Protection-Material/dp/B002SJS2PQ

around the openings of the keggles. I feel it would provide more protection to arms and fingers than just grinding the edge down.

+1 on ridiculous scar story though ("Saving a drowning baby from being trapped under a flipped car, and the broken glass got you" is my vote)

That spring steel material will rust what with all the moisture involved in brewing. Take a piece of vinyl tubing and cut a slit in it long ways.

+1 on winning the sword fight and riding off into the sunset with the girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
samc said:
TV show Dual Survival the guy cut himself on purpose and then poured black powder on it and set it on fire to Cauterize the wound. Ouch, that guy has some balls. Could have save you a trip to the ER.

I did a mini version of what you did cleaning my kegs, no stitches, just some bandages at home and a ton of cursing my stupidity.

I saw that, I think he officially gets the badass of the year award

Bigscience said:
Look at the bright side, now you're up to date on your tetanus shot.

I did a similar thing, no stitches or cool scar though. I ended up cleaning the cut up with an angle grinder but it was still a little rough. What made it really nice was some wet sanding with really fine paper. Now you couldn't cut yourself if you tried.

What is the process for wet sanding? Equipment?

Dixon said:
What is the process for wet sanding? Equipment?

After cutting the top out, I used a grinding wheel on an angle grinder to smooth out any "Beer Muncheresue" angles and round out the hole. Then I used a file to take off any wire edge. Then I took a little square of some good quality sand paper, I like the Norton 220 that Home Despot sells, dip it in some water and then start sanding to round over the edge. You can go even finer grit as you go along but 220 was always good for me. Keep checking the edge, both top and bottom, to make sure you get all the sharp edges.

Back