The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my SWMBO... "It tastes like bread"

I don't think that comment is stupid at all. I gained a WHOLE new appreciation for the flavors of my beer when I started baking bread from the spent grains. I could detect flavors in my beer that I tasted in my bread and vice versa. Maybe SWMBO has a better concept of what flavors are in your brews than you do...just sayin.

I have yet to see genuine interest, which frustrates me a bit. I know so many people who drink beer, but not good beer. Actually a cousin of my wife drink good beer but thats about it. My boy likes some craft brews, but has no interest in hearing about styles. Theres just so much ignorance about beer. Im not knocking it, but i think most people see beer as a poor mans indulgence and thats sad.

I try to explain to people the complexity involved in making beer. Sure, anybody can make beer, but making great beer is a little more difficult. Much harder that making wine but yet theres more of a culture around wine. In part, i think we have bmc to thank for that.

Yeah beer can be as complex if not better than wine i just dont think it has been so attenuated as wine has in the past.I see all these visions of greater beer to come that have not been invented that are being processes right now as we speek/.:mug:

I don't think that comment is stupid at all. I gained a WHOLE new appreciation for the flavors of my beer when I started baking bread from the spent grains. I could detect flavors in my beer that I tasted in my bread and vice versa. Maybe SWMBO has a better concept of what flavors are in your brews than you do...just sayin.

You know you made a good beer when people like your bread, for God's sake.:rockin:

You know you made a good beer when people like your bread, for God's sake.:rockin:

I brewed 4 batches for my wife and I's graduation party last December. We had a friend make an old family recipe Texas mop brisket... to die for!!! So I threw out a loaf of my spent grain bread to go with it and got almost as many compliments on it as I did the beer :mug:

Me: well guy I'm ganna brew some beer today. (Satuarday)
Co-worker: oh cool bring a few Monday.

That reminds me of when I was bottling my first batch. One of my roommates came in and said "Save me one okay?" like I was going to drink all 50 that night.

I had a cousin tell me my stout had an aftertaste "like rotting potatoes." He drank the entire pint so it couldn't have been that bad.

I've made beers with a burnt plastic aftertaste... I still drink them because the rest of the beer is good.

Probably the most asked stupid question I'm asked is

Them- What kind of beer do you make?

Me- Good beer.

That usually confuses people enough so I don't have to go into too much detail.

The second most asked question;

Them- Wow, you make beer?

Me- No, I woke up this morning and decided that I was going to tell you a lie today and say that I make beer. It was either that or I was going to finally come clean and confess that it was me that shat in your cat box last weekend so don't worry about your cat's anus, it's not too stretched out.

About my Honey Pale Ale.... from the hot blond chick next door.
Her ...."Wow I would buy this. It doesn't make me burp that nasty stuff"
Me .... "Great! Here is another"
SWMBO .... "......"
Me .... "What ?? She likes it"

:mug:

Bringing up an old one, but that right there is funny! :tank:

Someone showing genuine interest in your brewing isn't stupid. Why not use the opportunity to educate them a bit, or even invite them to assist on the next brewday?

Let me clarify a bit please. Most people that ask really don't know much about beer and when I do try to educate them, most don't care and they go to the default question of what does it taste like. I have spent many hours explaining the process to people and I enjoy talking about it with those that are interested. When I try to explain beers and the brewing process, I try to start out simple and then build upon that so the recipient can understand. I have had quite a few people stop by on brew days and a few guys even are getting into the craft. Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. I was trying to make fun and be light hearted.

You know that there are many different styles of beer, right?

There are countless styles of beer and I by no means know them all or claim to be an expert. Most ask what "kind" . After I say good beer, I usually go into what style of beer I make. Sorry if I sound like a jerk but to me, kind is not a style. And with my usual joking personality, I am usually able to pull it off, make the guy laugh and educate a bit. I agree that out of context and in writing, my description did:mug:n't sound very good at all. Thanks for caring enough about the craft to respond though.

gotta love my mom....she came over to help me bottle an experimental 100% wheat porter because she thought it sounded fun.

Here mom, taste a sip of this smoked porter:

"Tastes like coffee!"

Try some of my New Zealand IPA:

"Smells like fruit!"

Pretty good I'd say!

I hand a supposed beer snob one of my IPA’s, he drinks it then I give him a sample of a double IPA I had. He replies to me, “That second one was more stout that the first”

Did they taste it? or were they content to just look ;)

He said that he wanted to try a sip, but I think I may have been inside the house when he actually did sip a bit from his wife's glass. He never commented to me about it, and I didn't bother to ask how he liked it. Everyone sitting around him was saying "this is GOOD!" as they set aside their SNPAs and started drinking my PA.

gotta love my mom....she came over to help me bottle an experimental 100% wheat porter because she thought it sounded fun.

Here mom, taste a sip of this smoked porter:

"Tastes like coffee!"

Try some of my New Zealand IPA:

"Smells like fruit!"

Pretty good I'd say!

My mom HATES all beer and she will not even try one sip of my homebrews.

My best friend SERIOUSLY stated these words after trying one of my "Pliny The Mexicans"

"(serious face) Taste like...Beer. (concerned face) Its good"

GodsStepBrother said:
I hand a supposed beer snob one of my IPA’s, he drinks it then I give him a sample of a double IPA I had. He replies to me, “That second one was more stout that the first”

Perhaps that beer snob is using the correct definition of the word stout, which he is right in doing so.

From someone inter miller crowd:

Him: this is good
Me: thanks
Him: it has a funny aftertaste
Me: thats flavor
Him: mmmmm

Perhaps that beer snob is using the correct definition of the word stout, which he is right in doing so.

I am sorry, I was under the impression that now a days; "Stout" denotes the actual style “Stout” (i.e. malty, dark, roast, etc…). The fact that at one point stouts where called stout for a reason doesn’t mean it is still used today, I’ve never heard of a judge describing a beer as stout for being stronger than another.

Anyways if the guy new that distinction then his statement would have been worthwhile I guess? Kind of showing off a bit of history he knew about beer. The guy clearly didn’t know that though.

I am sorry, I was under the impression that now a days; "Stout" denotes the actual style “Stout” (i.e. malty, dark, roast, etc…). The fact that at one point stouts where called stout for a reason doesn’t mean it is still used today, I’ve never heard of a judge describing a beer as stout for being stronger than another.

Anyways if the guy new that distinction then his statement would have been worthwhile I guess? Kind of showing off a bit of history he knew about beer. The guy clearly didn’t know that though.

Well, it doesn't matter how you take it, he was using his english correctly. Perhaps one learns of the word before they learn of the beer style guideline (which isn't an original style of beer).

And it is used today, if this aforementioned beer nut were to let's say listen to the basic brewing podcast, he would have come across that term in a pet peeve episode they did where, in this exact scenario, was someone's pet peeve when another so called beer nut used the term to describe the difference between two beer like your friend did. This was at the latest a couple years old, sooooooo ease up, maybe relax and have a.....

I love how easy it is for you to make such a small matter and make it redundant. Even after I let you know if you want to go that route of defining stout it would have been amusing, but he clearly didn’t. Is this you’re shining moment on HBT? Pointing out a detail so insignificant? Its all yours buddy, you know how to use the word stout!!!! You really taught me well...

To the OP sorry, for going off topic.

I love how easy it is for you to make such a small matter and make it redundant. Even after I let you know if you want to go that route of defining stout it would have been amusing, but he clearly didn’t. Is this you’re shining moment on HBT? Pointing out a detail so insignificant? Its all yours buddy, you know how to use the word stout!!!! You really taught me well...

To the OP sorry, for going off topic.

Just trying to inform you...some people. I notice it was no trouble of you to post making fun of someone, but when corrected...watch out.

I didn't know HBT was just for bragging.

wow for a bunch of homebrewers the patience for conversation, and ability to take criticism has really taken a blow.

I will unsubscribe myself

I think everyone needs to relax. I mean, this is essentially a thread making fun of people who aren't able to post here in the first place.

That said, let's get on with it. I'm not above you.

A couple months ago I took a growler of my weisse to a buddy's house for a football game. Everyone really liked it which was great and I'm happy. The fun started when one guy (who, admittedly, isn't very bright) asked me what kind of beer it was.

buddy: Hey, this beer you made is great. What kind is it?

me: It's a wheat beer, specifically a dark wheat. It's an ale as opposed to a lager.

buddy: Wow. So what kind is it?

me: ...

My best friend of 16 years: "Your homebrew doesn't taste like homebrew". (meant as a compliment)

...?

I'm sorry for his past experience with homebrew.

Back