The right John Guest fittings??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyGunn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest just biting the bullet and getting the threaded quick disconnect style fittings. If you already have the fittings with built in barbs, they will be used for something else down the road. I used mine for cleaning type fittings on several applications.

It is not worth buying cheap gas connects, just to find out that you have to fill your tank after 1 day due to leaks.

I wouldn't even care for those on liquid side, as they would have a greater tendency to cause sanitization/spoiling issues.

Sorry about the bleak reply, but I think you will be happier in the long run if you buy the right quick connects now.

The manufacturer says they're not for air, I don't think I'd try using them for pressurized air. AKA, when you buy them, don't start a thread about a "mysterious" air leak.

@ihomebrewing: Sorry, I should have updated my thread...I went with quick disconnects on the gas side and they work like a charm!! I knew the JG weren't rated for gas from the website, but the guy I bought my kegerator gear from told me I could use them...I had my doubts...so I thought I would check with the real experts on HBT! As for the JG on the beer side...they are great for my situation (switching every month from pin-lock to ball-lock) and I just let them soak in PBW and then flush with water...clean in no time! But what type of quick disconnects would you use on the beer side, just for curiosity sake?

@IrregularPulse: Thanks! If I had used them...I certainly wouldn't post about it! haha!

Let's see if I can do this now:

Beer side with John Guest:
P2250271.jpg

Gas side with brass air line quick disconnects:
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/JohnnyGunn1/P2250268.jpg

Gratuitous kegerator and bar shots!
P2250273.jpg

P2250276.jpg

Later guys!

nice bar! only things I'd change are to paint that baseboard and cut the rug so it's not running up the wall. What are those things hanging off the side? Bottle openers? Arm rests?

@bruin_ale: haha! Thanks for the compliment! The "carpet" is actually my rubber dart mat that indeed needs a little bit of trim! The baseboards aren't actually on yet...which explains that ugly white part! And those things on the side are welded brackets that will hopefully be supporting my armrail (2x6 that will be distressed and stained to match the exposed beam) by this time next week! The bottle opener is hanging on the inside of the bar!

I wouldn't recommend using any fitting for air if it is not rated for air, but given that, I'm not surprised that they worked. I do have lots of experience using John Guest fittings for liquid, but not air. In my vast experience with all types of liquid fittings, the ones John Guest makes are by far the best I've ever worked with. The only bad thing: they have some hefty price tags!

I wouldn't recommend using any fitting for air if it is not rated for air, but given that, I'm not surprised that they worked. I do have lots of experience using John Guest fittings for liquid, but not air. In my vast experience with all types of liquid fittings, the ones John Guest makes are by far the best I've ever worked with. The only bad thing: they have some hefty price tags!

I know that John Guest sells specialty fittings for air....and they may very well work...I just didn't want to trust them, and I had my doubts...so that's why I went with the brass air quick disconnects. Work like a charm....makes my corny switching a breeze!

The liquid ones are awesome I can vouch for that! I managed to get 2 check valves and 6 barb stems for $15 from my supplier...used of course, but a quick rinse with PBW and all is good!

@bruin_ale: haha! Thanks for the compliment! The "carpet" is actually my rubber dart mat that indeed needs a little bit of trim! The baseboards aren't actually on yet...which explains that ugly white part! And those things on the side are welded brackets that will hopefully be supporting my armrail (2x6 that will be distressed and stained to match the exposed beam) by this time next week! The bottle opener is hanging on the inside of the bar!

figured that was just a teaser pic and not a final product. You don't go to all the trouble to build a bar as nice as that one and then leave the baseboard all ugly like that. Wish I had more space at my house for something like that..

Back