Bottle Source for Harvesting Pacman Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Having read through numerous threads, it appears that people have had great success harvesting Pacman yeast from only two bottles of Rogue, Shakespeare Stout and Brutal Bitter Ale.

If you have harvested yeast from another Rogue brew, please chime in.

I've successfully harvested Pacman from the American Amber Ale. I've also seen, but not harvested, a lot of yeast in the Yellow Snow IPA.

I was successful harvesting from a bomber of Hazelnut Brown Nectar. I used it for a Dead Guy brew and it went from OG 1.75 (had better then expected efficiency) so I was a little worried I might finish high. Well those Pacman are amazing I left it in the primary for 40 days and ended up at 1.006! I was in the low 60's the first four days after that I was likely closer to 70. Next time I may have to keep it cool the entire time if I don't want it to get too dry.

ETA: I just remembered that I also harvested some Pacman from a Chocolate Stout too.

I have a few 12 oz bottles of American Amber in the garage, I'll take a look at the label. I don't recall seeing any yeast sediment though. Are you talking about the 22 oz bottles?

Having read through numerous threads, it appears that people have had great success harvesting Pacman yeast from only two bottles of Rogue, Shakespeare Stout and Brutal Bitter Ale.

If you have harvested yeast from another Rogue brew, please chime in.

Yellow snow IPA. Done it a couple of times.

I thought Rogue used a different yeast for carbing. ???

If they use a different yeast, it's a great yeast. Very clean (low esters) high alcohol tolerance (I've run it up to 11%), and low temperature threshold (I've got some going at 55 F right now), and flocs well. ........... sounds like PacMan to me.

I thought Rogue used a different yeast for carbing. ???

It says so on most of the bombers. In fact I've had the best luck with those beers where it explicitly mentions Pac Man yeast on the screenprinting on the 22 ouncers. I've noticed that not all of them say it, and I've had luck with those. But I usually drink the stouts and bitters to harvest from.

Rogue force carbs all of their beers and, as such, as no second yeast for carbing.

If you want to get the yeast form a bottle, which is irrational as it is available year round from, eg, Brewmasters Warehouse, pick one of their lower gravity unfiltered beers. Shakespeare Stout and Brutal Bitter absolutely fit the bill.

A posted in another thread said they had luck with Mocha Porter. Is this unfiltered also? Does Rogue list their unfiltered beers?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/harvesting-pacman-bottles-193778/

** edit - I looked at Rogues site, some are listed as unfiltered but Brutal and Chocolate are not **

According to this website Last updated May 29 1998: http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

Rogue
Ale PacMan
{1} Yeast sediment, alive?, strain?
Mocha Porter
{1} Live sediment, strain? Good result. {1} Pacman yeast. {1} Primary strain.
Smoke
{1} Live sediment, strain? Bready and phenolic.
Shakespeare Stout
{1} Has yeast sediment, alive, strain? {1} Pacman yeast. {1} Primary strain.

Anyone have a comprehensive and updated list of Rogue brews with active yeast?

Irrational??? I can pay for a smack pack and shipping and hope UPS doesn't let it sit in the sun too long or I can enjoy a bomber of a Rogue Ale and harvest it. Easy choice for me and there's just something cool about harvesting from a bottle. :fro:

Back