Choose my next Single HOP Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I've been brewing basically the same recipe for several batches. They are all single hop pale ales. These are the hops I've tried so far: Cascade, Simcoe, Northern Brewer, Crystal, Amarillo.

Any recommendations for my next hop choice? I'd like to try something that has a different character than the ones listed above.

My basic recipe:
7 lbs. Light liquid malt extract
.5 lbs. Crystal malt(40L)
.5 lbs. Special Roast
.25 lbs. Vienna malt
Pacman or S-05 yeast

Nugget or you could be really different and do an English Pale with Goldings or Fuggle.

Since you've already done Simcoe and Amarillo, I would say Citra. I'm about to brew an American pale with Amarillo and Citra. Should be tasty!

I'm with david_42. Go outside what you have done so far and do an English Pale Ale. I'm a huge fan of Goldings, but Fuggles is pretty good as well.

i'm looking forward to doing an all Willamette pale soon. will be very heavily late-hopped to get a big aroma.

I just did a double brew day with both a Citra and a Chinook pale ale using the same recipe for both. The Citra is just bursting with citrus aromas, but the Chinook is super smooth and tasty and might just become my house ale. They are cold crashing now and I can't wait to get them on tap. I did identical hop schedules since they were almost the same AA%. I didn't do a 60min addition because I wanted them to be really smooth, but with a lot of hop flavor and aroma.
Both were hopped like this:
.5oz - FWH
.5oz - 45 min
.5oz - 15 min
.5oz - 5 min
2oz - dry hop

Something you may not expect to be good - Go for German Hallertau! Wierd choice for a pale, but I tried it once and its a bit spicy with good character. I err on the side of a heavier aroma for this hop though, as it is milder.

I've been brewing basically the same recipe for several batches. They are all single hop pale ales. These are the hops I've tried so far: Cascade, Simcoe, Northern Brewer, Crystal, Amarillo.

Any recommendations for my next hop choice? I'd like to try something that has a different character than the ones listed above.

My basic recipe:
7 lbs. Light liquid malt extract
.5 lbs. Crystal malt(40L)
.5 lbs. Special Roast
.25 lbs. Vienna malt
Pacman or S-05 yeast

How was the simcoe ale? I brewed one, and at times I really like, but other times it has almost a sour?? taste.

I'm a big fan of fuggles, it would work great for some sort of English pale like others have suggested

How was the simcoe ale? I brewed one, and at times I really like, but other times it has almost a sour?? taste.

Actually, I just tried the Simcoe after a week in the bottle. After only a week, I thought it might be "green" and not carbonated, but it is absolutely delicious and nicely carbonated. I officially have a favorite hop....although the Simcoe is the first of my single hop series, so we'll see if how the others pan out. Crystal is on deck.

There are so many good choices that it is hard to go wrong. Personally, I would use Centennial because it is versatile and can go well in many styles. If you discover you really like it, you can use it in a lot of beers.

Eric

Back