Had a little problem with the wort chiller . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
Seems it had a slow leak in it that I did not see. Slowly added about 1.5 gallons to the wort. Know if will throw off my OG, but you think it is a total waste?
American Wheat PM from Austin Brew
Thanks.

Bummer... but not a total waste. Ferment it out and be the first to find out what a "lite" American Wheat tastes like!

Or you could brew anther stronger one and blend the two...

-Steve

I would be a little concerned about contamination from the hose.

Aside from that, do you have a pound or two of extract to add?

If you have some wheat extract you could always add it to the wort, to get back to your expected final gravity. If not you will still have beer, that should go down pretty easy.

Ed

I have one of "those" wort chillers, or rather I should say that up until last week I HAD one. I have a very plain entry level copper tubing IC with the plastic hoses held on by hose clamps. The inlet hose would periodically (and unpredictably) start to leak, so I had to keep an eye on it each time I started to chill, to tighten it down. I finally got fed up, and went to HD and bought compression fittings and garden hose adapters for it.

Problem solved:

The fittings I bought at Home Depot (all Watts) are:

two #A118 3/8" OD compression fitting x 1/2" FIP w/ insert (you will throw the insert away)

two #A663 3/4" x 1/2" Male hose to MIP adapter

one #A662 3/4"FH x 3/4"FH dual female hose adapter

These items ran $19 incl. tax.

You will need teflon tape to assemble the first two items.

Thanks guys. I think I am just going to let it go with a lighter beer. I called myself watching it close, but guess not close enough. It had happened in the past, only then I could tell when it was doing it.
Rico, I might give that a try. I might also go with the no-chill idea. Even after all that yesterday I could only get the temp to 90F. Hot days here in GA are not helping.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back