Buying a Wii. Need advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
My soon-to-be 6 year old has been asking for a Wii and I've finally gotten the go-ahead from the wife. :D So I'm looking online this morning at 'em and my head starts spinning from all the accessories, options, etc. Didn't buying a console system used to be simple?

What are the needs and don't-needs? Nunchuck controllers? Docking stations? Good games/bad games?

Thanks! :mug:

Most of the accessories don't actually do anything (bat, tennis racket, golf club) so you don't need them. You should have a nunchuck for every controller you have. The rechargeable batteries and docking stations are nice too but read some reviews on amazon before picking one because some really suck. As far as games wii fit is cool and the balance board can be used with a lot of other games too. Zelda and mario galaxy are both really good for both adults and kids. Rock band/guitar hero is a good choice too.

What lieutenant data said. It's cool to have a bunch of controllers, but 2 is minimum. You should get the nunchuck for each one, too. If you get Mario Kart, the wheel is pretty much a necessity. For the adults, I very highly recommend Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010 with the MotionPlus attachment (attaches to the wiimote, tracks you in 3d much more accurately).

For batteries, I just use standard rechargeable AA's. We have a metric f*ck-ton of them around the house for various remotes and stuff, so we're set there. The batteries last a long time, anyway.

I had a Wii for about a year...... All i had for it was the controller, nunchuck, docking stations and internet adapters...... I also used my Gamecube controller for alot of the games. Racing games are iffy on it b/c of the motion capture.... There no resistance so the game over reacts to the movements. Same goes with shooters and the like.... However, sports games are pretty awesome on the Wii. Tiger woods and MLB are definitely good additions to the game library as well as the Wii Sports and the Mini-game setup titles.

I know where I'll be even more than I am already.

Homebrew and Wii! :rockin: Working on a deal to buy a PG-13 FPS game that I can play when the boys are in bed. ;)

For batteries, I just use standard rechargeable AA's. We have a metric f*ck-ton of them around the house for various remotes and stuff, so we're set there. The batteries last a long time, anyway.

Wait until your little guy is a little older and has all kinds of battery-operated toys. You'll have two metric ****-tons. ;) :mug:

Thanks for the quick suggetions!

Also, I recommend getting a component cable instead of the connector that comes with it - makes the picture much better. Buy it from here and you'll save yourself $20 or so...

Thanks. Saw a HD cable for it too. Does the Wii produce a HD signal for a HD TV?

However, for the adult crowd... I would recommend the PS3 or Xbox 360 with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The online is crazy. That's my current addiction.....

Thanks. Saw a HD cable for it too. Does the Wii produce a HD signal for a HD TV?

That's a negative.... Wii is the ONLY system of the NexGen systems that is not HD..... However, Nintendo announced at the E3 convention about 3 weeks ago that it has plans to go HD in the next few months......

480p is Wii limit

I recommend a good docking station. It's too freakin convenient. Just put the controllers back when done playing.

I play Mario kart and that's about it. We have the Wii Fit with Shawn White's Snowboarding and it comes out a lot with groups over.

I also recommend guitar Hero/Rockband. We have these for the Xbox360 and it gets play often with groups.

Oh and post your mario kart numbers if you get it.

Slightly OT
I've not been able to add anyone on here for Mario kart. Well two people and they're never on.

However, for the adult crowd... I would recommend the PS3 or Xbox 360 with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

True this! I don't think I can justify it to the boss though, being primarily a family "toy" and the PS3 is a bit more expensive. Fortunately I upgraded my graphics card on the computer and a DSL connection helps. Haven't gotten to CoD4 yet, still playing Battlefield 2 online. :eek:

That's a negative.... Wii is the ONLY system of the NexGen systems that is not HD.

Roger that, thanks.

You can buy HDMI and Component cables for the Wii... However, the system itself still only transmits in 480i. The cables to help to bring out the picture but not enough to warrant the money that the cables cost.

True this! I don't think I can justify it to the boss though, being primarily a family "toy" and the PS3 is a bit more expensive. Fortunately I upgraded my graphics card on the computer and a DSL connection helps. Haven't gotten to CoD4 yet, still playing Battlefield 2 online. :eek:

Roger that, thanks.

The PS3 is a bit more expensive but its also full HD compatible, backwards compatable (meaning it plays PS1 and some PS2 games), Blu-Ray, Bluetooth ready, and it is free for online play and you can even buy some of the classic games in the online store for about $5-$10 depending on the title, AND some of the titles, mainly sports, are motion capture with the SYXAXIS controller(which is standard). Theres a bunch more to list but i can't remember all off of the top of my head.

You can buy HDMI and Component cables for the Wii... However, the system itself still only transmits in 480i. The cables to help to bring out the picture but not enough to warrant the money that the cables cost.

$3.52 isn't much

For only $2.86 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT Nintendo Wii Audio Video ED Component Cable - White | Wii

While you're at it, pick yourself up some extra HDMI cables, S-video, etc. to make it worth the shipping. You will need them eventually - I've used my backups more than I thought I would.

$3.52 isn't much

For only $2.86 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT Nintendo Wii Audio Video ED Component Cable - White | Wii

While you're at it, pick yourself up some extra HDMI cables, S-video, etc. to make it worth the shipping. You will need them eventually - I've used my backups more than I thought I would.

Just checked site out out..... Hell in that case, it's well worth the price... The last time i checked they were upwards of $30+,depending on who was selling. I also agree with picking up the HDMI and S-video.... I also use them more than i ever thought i would.

The batteries last a long time, anyway.

With mine its to opposite. Every time I go to play the batteries are dead.

Also, I recommend getting a component cable instead of the connector that comes with it - makes the picture much better. Buy it from here and you'll save yourself $20 or so...

I forgot about the components. Even though it is not in HD you still get a much better picture with them. My friend and I have compared them side by side and it does make a difference.

OFF TOPIC
My wii has some weird flashy lines while playing. Mostly on the Bright white screen. I first thought Great my new tv blows, but there's nothing wrong with the picture when watching TV or playing the Xbox. Both those are using HDMI Cabling though. Any thoughts? I've tried a second set of standard cabling. Maybe I should try component cables?

After looking at the current price of cables, i change my stance... The component cables are worth the buy... I was basing on the prices that i saw over a year ago....

I came here to post the monoprice.com link, but I have been beaten to the punch.

But just to reiterate what others have said, if you're putting it on a larger HDTV spring for the upgraded cables. Not HD, but still better.

We have a Wii but it's very under used these days now that the cool factor has wore off. Of course, we don't have any kids old enough to play with it right now. All of my serious gaming is done via Xbox 360 so the Wii is really only used for group entertainment when we all want to try our luck with the basic Wii sports package or mario party.

OFF TOPIC
My wii has some weird flashy lines while playing. Mostly on the Bright white screen. I first thought Great my new tv blows, but there's nothing wrong with the picture when watching TV or playing the Xbox. Both those are using HDMI Cabling though. Any thoughts? I've tried a second set of standard cabling. Maybe I should try component cables?

I may have the same problem as you -- while I do use the component cables, the picture is better, but about 80% of the time the picture looks wavey - slightly vertical lines flowing through the whole picture. I also get the same similar picture when watching non-HD channels. Weird.

I came here to post the monoprice.com link, but I have been beaten to the punch.

But just to reiterate what others have said, if you're putting it on a larger HDTV spring for the upgraded cables. Not HD, but still better.

We have a Wii but it's very under used these days now that the cool factor has wore off. Of course, we don't have any kids old enough to play with it right now. All of my serious gaming is done via Xbox 360 so the Wii is really only used for group entertainment when we all want to try our luck with the basic Wii sports package or mario party.

What games do you play on the 360? That is my primary....

I used to be way more into gaming, but my Xbox (don't have the 360) has been collecting dust for easily the past 6-7 months. Occasionally I get the itch to play some old school Splinter Cell or Halo, but those times are few and far between. I'm tempted to just take what I have to Gamespot to see what they'll offer me for the console + games and put that likely meager amount towards a Wii.

The Wii just seems like it would a lot more fun - besides, the wifey can join in. Punching buttons on a controller never appealed to her.

I may have the same problem as you -- while I do use the component cables, the picture is better, but about 80% of the time the picture looks wavey - slightly vertical lines flowing through the whole picture. I also get the same similar picture when watching non-HD channels. Weird.
I don't have wavy picture, just like flashing vertical lines like flickering. Doesn't affect the picture besides it. Almost seems like long lines of pixels flickering out. But it's only on Wii. maybe I'll grab some cheap Component cables to try. I hadn't noticed the drastic price drop.

The Wii just seems like it would a lot more fun - besides, the wifey can join in. Punching buttons on a controller never appealed to her.
This is key to my video game time :D Wife only likes the 360 when we're playing rockband. She'll play the hell out of some Mario kart on Wii though:) And it's the only game I care to really play as well. We play usually at least 3 nights a week after bean go to bed. Mario kart and few Keezer draws. The Perfect NightCap :D

With mine its to opposite. Every time I go to play the batteries are dead.

I'm told it has to do with how far you are able to stand from the Wii when playing... the longer distance, the wiimotes go into a different bluetooth mode and chew up batteries.

Mariokart is, in fact, awesome.

I would really suggest renting games as a means of shopping, many games that are "avialable" for the wii aren't really "wii games" per se, they don't use the wii's cool abilities, you're just holding the remote like an old game system...

This is very :off: but my wife made it to the finals of the Nintendo (NES) World Championships in 1990 for 11 and under. She kicks my ass at any old-school game with her eyes closed.

My 6 year old loves Mario Kart.

He really, really, loves Mario Kart.

My 5yr old loves it too...
Here is a good shopping list for a Wii family with a 6yr old

1: Wii system with Wii Sports
2: Wii Play (several games and a 2nd controler for $5 more than the controler)
3: Charging station for controlers (there are several styles available for $25-$50)
4: Mario Cart

Other games to concider
Guitar Hero3
Wii Fit

of everything listed, you only need the nunchuck for...
1 of 10 games on Wii Play
Boxing on Wii Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very :off: but my wife made it to the finals of the Nintendo (NES) World Championships in 1990 for 11 and under. She kicks my ass at any old-school game with her eyes closed.
Does your wife know Jimmy Woods? :D And does she get excited when you break out the "Power Glove"?

My 5yr old loves it too...
Here is a good shopping list for a Wii family with a 6yr old
Ditto ion the Wii play. It's another decent collaboration of games, and comes with controller. The games aren't Great, but it's on $5 mor than the controller by itself.

That was easy! :D

I read somewhere that you can configure the Wii to send a 480p signal, which cuts down on the lag for the TV translating the 480i to 480p. Is this true?
It's in your Wii Settings, You select 480i or 480P for display. I believe. I'm not in front of my Wii. There may be other options as well but I only remember seeing those two.

That was easy! :D

I read somewhere that you can configure the Wii to send a 480p signal, which cuts down on the lag for the TV translating the 480i to 480p. Is this true?

No clue, I have my wii pluged into Video1 on my 52inch Sony LCD and it looks great, full screen, never noticed any lag time.

they do offer http://www.handhelditems.com/nintendo-hdtv-edtv-high-resolution-component-cable-p-6105.html
but I only have 2 componant imputs. I need to get a HDMI cable for my DISH reciever to add this to mine.

Rock Band 1 and 2
Guitar Hero - All of them except metallica for now
Tiger Woods
GTA IV

those are the ones in my regular rotation at the moment.

damn i was hoping that CoD4 was on the list... That's my obsession right now. add me on you list r3dn3ckstyl3z is also my gamertag....

OFF TOPIC

Some 1st generation Wiis had overheating issues that cooked the video chip, causing missing pixels and lines. Give Nintendo a call. They've been pretty good about fixing the problem, even out of warranty.

Some 1st generation Wiis had overheating issues that cooked the video chip, causing missing pixels and lines. Give Nintendo a call. They've been pretty good about fixing the problem, even out of warranty.

hey thanks man!! I'll give it a try :)

*EDIT*
Just got off the phone with Support
$75 11-14 days return time.
No indication in his database of rather or not the problem will further damage anything else if left unattended. I hate mindless tech support lines.
I'll just wait. The lines are fine for $75 My Wii is ~2 years old. Just good to know the problem, what it is and that it's the same price to repair it if it eventually blows something major.

Thanks for the tip jkarp

Does your wife know Jimmy Woods? :D And does she get excited when you break out the "Power Glove"?

Haha - I used to joke with her about that when she first told me about the competition. She never even saw the movie, which is a bit strange. Great movie, kinda

And oh yeah, she loves the power glove :D I actually do still have it, although that thing never really worked.

For the adults, I very highly recommend Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010 with the MotionPlus attachment (attaches to the wiimote, tracks you in 3d much more accurately).

Big time second on this, especially if you enjoy the wii sports golf. Tons of courses, fully adjustable realism on the swing, a really top notch game. I also enjoy call of duty world at war, but you really need the wii zapper to play (and obviously a nunchuck) but this is not a good multiplayer game as far as two people playing on one wii, but it is fun to play online. Call of duty is obviously not really a kid friendly game either. Its pretty cool how you can just set up the wii to use your wireless network in your house.

Back