Small footprint lagering fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up one of those Oster 5.0 fridges and using two corny kegs as fermenters. Figure I could crank out 9-10 gallons of Munich Helles every 6 weeks. That would keep my neighbors AND me very happy indeed. :mug:

I got the idea stuck in my head after reading the last BYO issue which showed 5 gallons fermenting in a corny using foam control drops and a blowoff tube rigged on the gas-in post. I think this is f***in' brilliant.

See, I would go for one of those 5 cubic foot freezer models, but the problem with those is they take up a lot of room, and a lot of room is one thing I don't have left in our garage. Plus, I know from the fridge I have if I set the control to the warmest setting it will be fine for fermentation, probably around 48*F, and a small twist of the knob will drop it about 4*F until I get into the lagering zone. No external temp controller required. Oh, and D-rest? No problem, just unplug the sucker for three or four days. If it's really cold in the garage, I'll just pull the kegs out and sit them inside for a few days for the D-rest.

If I use my ugliest cornies, it will still fit my criteria of junk looking ghetto redneck, which I strive for in all of my equipment, at least to some degree. Though my mash tun is a little too pretty. I think I need BierMuncher to doodle some artwork on it for me. :D

What's not to love about this idea?

That sounds really awesome. I did not think of that!

I use a standard glass carboy for lager fermenting in the fridge. I figure I can fit at least two corny kegs in the same space one glass carboy occupies. I am also a big fan of the Munich Helles style beer.

What kind of lid will you use on the corny keg?
I saw this on more beer the other day that might work but it is spendy:
Keg Lid - 1/2" Half Coupler Welded On | MoreBeer

I've fermented in the cornies before, works just fine, and you don't need a special lid. I just used an airlock connected to the gas-in port using a piece of 3/8" silicone tubing (nice and stretchy). You could also do as mentioned and use a blow-off

Don't have a pic handy, but in the BYO article the guy was just using a regular gray QD on the gas post with a barbed fitting, and a tube attached to that running into a bucket of sanitizer. No fancy keg lid or fittings.

I have a pressure relief valve so I could do a pressure ferment but I will save that for small ale batches. I like the blowoff setup since I can fit 5 gallons in each keg, worst thing that could happen is I get some krausen in the tube but the chances of that are still slim since we're talking lagers with foam control drops...

I've fermented in the cornies before, works just fine, and you don't need a special lid. I just used an airlock connected to the gas-in port using a piece of 3/8" silicone tubing (nice and stretchy). You could also do as mentioned and use a blow-off

Cool, if the tubing fits right over the port fitting, then I dont' even need the QD, just a couple of lengths of silicone hose. And that stuff is easy to sanitize if it gets nasty, just toss it in some boiling water...

Latest posts

Back