Knowing your exact ABV....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13astrand

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been making wine now for a year and a bit and am really seeing the benefits ;-) I get a lot of enjoyment out of knowing what the ABV of my wine is. The question I have is that when I make a wine that involve Sultanas or Raisins I don't always feel that I know exactly the ABV of my wine. This is because I measure the OG at the start but I feel any sugar from the fruit want actually come out until the wine starts moving around during the fermentation stage. This will mean that my OG and final ABV surely can not be accurate. What does everyone else feel about this?

Do raisins and Sultanas give off much sugar when really cut up? I usually give them a quick blast in a blender. I am sure that they give off a lot of sugar into to wort during fermentation but I may be wrong.

Any thoughts / knowledge on the above is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Adam

13astrand said:
Hi all, I have been making wine now for a year and a bit and am really seeing the benefits ;-) I get a lot of enjoyment out of knowing what the ABV of my wine is. The question I have is that when I make a wine that involve Sultanas or Raisins I don't always feel that I know exactly the ABV of my wine. This is because I measure the OG at the start but I feel any sugar from the fruit want actually come out until the wine starts moving around during the fermentation stage. This will mean that my OG and final ABV surely can not be accurate. What does everyone else feel about this?

Do raisins and Sultanas give off much sugar when really cut up? I usually give them a quick blast in a blender. I am sure that they give off a lot of sugar into to wort during fermentation but I may be wrong.

Any thoughts / knowledge on the above is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Adam

The raisins do give you sugar. Here is what I would do: weight the raisins before and after fermentation, then you'll know how much in weight of sugar stayed with the wine.

You could try not pitching the yeast for a day or so at the beginning. Allow the sugars from the rasins to soak out into the rest of the wort. Then take a gravity reading.

Of course, keep the must sulfited to keep fermentation from started!

thadius856 said:
I'm sure anybody selling it in a labelled bottle cares.

And to all those alcoholics of us who like a bit of kick to the wine. It's nice to have something at least around the 12% mark.

saramc said:

Thanks for this. I haven't tried this way before but I can see how easy it would be now to find it from anything I add extra sugar to during fermentation. Thank you.

Back