Does My Starter Look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0b0t

Reaction score
I am sure I am being paranoid, but this is my 3rd starter and have never seen this before. After cold crashing for 2 days, I have a bunch of bubbles grouped together on the surface and some white floaties. I would hate to infect my beer with this starter so I need some reassurance that it is ok, or advice to toss it and start again. This starter was made from washed yeast that I have successfully used in the past, but last time the surface was clear of bubbles which is why I am unsure. Everything was sanitized with Starsan, but this was my first time using a stirplate.

Thoughts?

Pelicles wont grow that quick, also with that said it might have been 90% fermented when cold crashed and those are yeast/co2 rafts

Pelicles wont grow that quick, also with that said it might have been 90% fermented when cold crashed and those are yeast/co2 rafts

Thanks for the comment, rational thought goes out the door when I see yeast do something different than what I have seen in previous batches.

I am sure I am being paranoid, but this is my 3rd starter and have never seen this before.
[/URL]

Thoughts?

From the looks of all the yeast residue on the sides, you had a hell of a nice ferment. The yeast was not done yet though, and is still working even at the lower temp. What is the yeast? It's a go-getter. :)

From the looks of all the yeast residue on the sides, you had a hell of a nice ferment. The yeast was not done yet though, and is still working even at the lower temp. What is the yeast? It's a go-getter. :)

Yeah, the krausen climbed up pretty high. It's my washed Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier. I gave it probably 36 hours on the stirplate and the krausen dropped, and that is when I moved it to the fridge. I found some conflicting info online regarding how far to let a starter ferment before cold crashing. Should I let it fully ferment before moving to the fridge?

Back