Modest basement bar build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I would share my small (I do mean SMALL!) basement bar. Still lots of work to do, but maybe good enough to show some pics :)

The room is roughly 10'x14'ish, and the bar is 3'x8'ish.

We bought a small freezer to use as a kegerator and removed the top.

IMG_0101.jpg

The start of the frame for the base. There will be 2 pieces there... The bottom will be apart of the base. The top piece will be hinged to the bottom to allow access to the kegs.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Base is basically done. I will mount the freezer lid to the top piece make sure there is a proper seal.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Lid now mounted to the top. A hole is cut in the lid where the taps will be placed.

IMG_0115.jpg

Bought a 4x8 sheet of Birch plywood for the top. I cut it down to 2x8.

IMG_0108.jpg

Some staining done. I purchased some bar rail from an 80 year old man. He told me that this type of bar rail was used in the early 1900's. The way it mounts to the bar top (the 2x8 birch) is perfect for my needs. It will be firmly secured and will allow me to lift the top without worrying about it snapping off.

I am using 3" pvc for the tap tower. I made a box out of 1x6 pine for the "coffin" style tower.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

The inside of the coffin... More insulation will be added. I will place a homemade fan box at the bottom of the cooler and run a hose up to the coffin for extra cooling. I am not sure if it was necessary, but I ran the beer line through copper tubing to help with cooling as well.

IMG_0121.jpg

An inside pic. You can see the beer lines... My thought was that the copper would help the lines cool between the kegerator and the coffin. You can also see the temp. gauge for the external thermostat. I have it set at 38°.

IMG_0124.jpg

Got to include a pic of the first pour!! :)

IMG_0123.jpg

So, we have been doing some painting etc... Here is the bar as it currently looks.

The door to the basement. Any "Trainspotting" fans out there (my little tribute to the movie)...

Doortobasement.jpg

The top still needs finished. I need to make a new collar for the base of the tower as well, just not sure what I want to make it out of yet.

BarView1.jpg

BarView2.jpg

Here is a shot from behind the bar. We have a small home theater room adjacent to the bar.

BarView3.jpg

It has been a blast building the bar... We spend a lot of time down there (A LOT!!) :)

Looks great! I am jealous! Wish I had the room for something like that in my house!

Very nice, looks like a perfect size for a basement bar. I've been chalking lines on my basement floor for one very similar.

Looks great. I see you had some elves helping you LOL

Yeah, I did get some help from 1 wee little elf! :)

Very nice, looks like a perfect size for a basement bar. I've been chalking lines on my basement floor for one very similar.

Fizzycist, you will be so happy once you build it! We play a lot of cricket (my gf kills me most of the time!). I will be putting a big monitor down there for the NCAA basketball tourney (GO IU!!!).

njs170, you would be surprised what you can fit in a small space. You should try laying out a small bar. I used a folding table to get an idea of the space it was going to take.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Cheers

How do you access the freezer?

Good question... I guess I neglected to show the hinged top.

Hinges.jpg

topup.jpg

The top raises very easily. It may seem heavy, but I can lift it with one hand. The process does not take long at all (a tidy bar top is helpful here). There are no clearance issues, I can easily put kegs in without hitting the top.

If someone decides to go this route when building a bar, I will save you some heartache... REMOVE the tap handles before you lift the top!!! Gravity is NOT your friend here and beer will end up all over the floor :(

Cheers :mug:

Back