An empty tasting ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
We have a really big st patty day parade where I live (biggest in the country one big party). My wife wanted me to make a brew that all her girlfriends would drink too. So I made a brew with only steeping 1/4 lb of carapils but added 1 lbs of maltodextrin OG was 1.060 FG was 1.018 which is sort of what I was looking for as far as APV but the brew tastes empty like water with a hint of ale. Does this sound right? Or what did I do wrong. I guess the girls will like it!

BrewerBear said:
If there was no other ingredients I would expect it to taste bland.

My brew schedule was as,
1/2 lbs carapils steep 160• for 30 min
6 lbs Pilsen light DME 1/2 for 60 other 1/2 at 30 min
At 30 min 1 lbs of maltodextrin
FWH 1oz Citra 1/2 oz chinook
At 45 min 1 oz Citra 1 oz chinook
Zest of 2 lemons
Dry hop 2 oz Citra 2 weeks
Tastes like a light beer any suggestions for next time

I have had beers at 35 degrees that were bland really liven up at 45-50 degrees. What its your serving temp?

My porter is even best at room temp, believe it or not

Your hop additions at 45 minutes would not have added any flavor at all either. If you reduced the amount and added the Citra/Chinook at 15 or 20 mins, you would have gotten some flavor. A half lb of C20 would have given it a little more malt flavor.

My wife wanted me to make a brew that all her girlfriends would drink too.

LOL...seems like bland and tasteless was what you were going for ;)

Next time you want to produce a BMC-type brew, use 5lbs of pilsner with 3-4 lbs of minute rice and a single 1 oz/60 min noble hop addition. Take the time to lager it, and you'll make a spot-on miller-ish beer. Brew it like an ale, and it is more like a light blonde. I've done it both ways and had great success with light beer drinkers.

TopherM said:
LOL...seems like bland and tasteless was what you were going for ;)

Next time you want to produce a BMC-type brew, use 5lbs of pilsner with 3-4 lbs of minute rice and a single 1 oz/60 min noble hop addition. Take the time to lager it, and you'll make a spot-on miller-ish beer. Brew it like an ale, and it is more like a light blonde. I've done it both ways and had great success with light beer drinkers.

Sure your right lol... Was not anticipating that though. Almost tasted like bud. by using less specialty grains and maltodextrine is that how that taste was made or should I say lack if taste made? I'm new to this so when I said 45 min of boil I meant it had already been boiling 45 min. I guess I should have said 15 min

dirtybasementbrew said:
Sure your right lol... Was not anticipating that though. Almost tasted like bud. by using less specialty grains and maltodextrine is that how that taste was made or should I say lack if taste made? I'm new to this so when I said 45 min of boil I meant it had already been boiling 45 min. I guess I should have said 15 min

Carapyls won't add much flavor, especially only a quarter pound. Next time try using some more steeping grains, maybe a pound total. If you want light color beer use light color grains like special B ,honey malt, or a light caramel malt along with the carapyls.

Back